What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsneverlupus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been a lot of these threads lately, but I go to a school that doesn't send many people into ophtho (none for a couple of years) and would really love to get some feedback, if possible.

Step 1: 253
Lower tier state school with home ophtho program
Clerkship Grades: honors in family and likely internal, high pass in surgery and peds
AOA unknown (haven't found out who was selected for junior AOA yet), but got honors in almost all pre-clinical classes
ECs: fortunately got interested in ophtho from doing my ECs, so I have a decent amount of ophtho-related things (Lions Club leadership and volunteering, started and ran a monthly ophtho clinic at our student-run free clinic), as well as some leadership and volunteering in non-ophtho things
Research: 10+ non-ophtho papers (2 first author), 8 non-ophtho posters, mix of 4 ophtho-related talks and posters (admittedly very soft science relating to the free clinic and case reports)

I am planning to do 2 aways at higher level/reach programs to maybe get a letter from one and get exposure to programs other than my home ophtho program. I was planning on ocular path at Wills or Iowa for one and then a clinical one at another higher level program. My school doesn't allow electives before July, so I was going to do my home rotation first to secure 2 ophtho letters (unless I get one from an away) and then do my two aways. Does this sound like a reasonable strategy and plan? Also, how many electives does one typically apply for to feel confident that they will be able to have two scheduled, since I would assume August-October would be a little more competitive?

I am a little concerned about my chances coming from a lower tier school and having little/no ophtho research. I am going to try to get a case report at least and hopefully some other ophtho research soon. Do I stand a chance at any higher level programs? I am going to apply broadly and honestly just want to end up at a program where I'm a good fit, but I'd like to get an idea of where I fall in terms of competitiveness. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great board score, good clinical grades, nice amount of ophtho-related ECs, and an incredible amount of research. Do your best to squeeze in some ophtho research, but I don't think it will be make-or-break. You've already demonstrated your ability to churn out papers and posters. Make connections and be likable on your away rotations. Letters will be important and can make up for your lower-tier school. I highly recommend the ocular path rotation with Dr. Eagle at Wills. You will learn A TON and he will write you a letter. The strength of the letter is related to your performance on his final exam. However, it can be challenging to get a spot during the summer/fall depending on how many Jefferson students are applying for ophthalmology. His elective is super popular. You will get interviews at some of the higher tier programs, but letters, connections, and your personality will play a role in your ability to match. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I know there have been a lot of these threads lately, but I go to a school that doesn't send many people into ophtho (none for a couple of years) and would really love to get some feedback, if possible.

Step 1: 253
Lower tier state school with home ophtho program
Clerkship Grades: honors in family and likely internal, high pass in surgery and peds
AOA unknown (haven't found out who was selected for junior AOA yet), but got honors in almost all pre-clinical classes
ECs: fortunately got interested in ophtho from doing my ECs, so I have a decent amount of ophtho-related things (Lions Club leadership and volunteering, started and ran a monthly ophtho clinic at our student-run free clinic), as well as some leadership and volunteering in non-ophtho things
Research: 10+ non-ophtho papers (2 first author), 8 non-ophtho posters, mix of 4 ophtho-related talks and posters (admittedly very soft science relating to the free clinic and case reports)

I am planning to do 2 aways at higher level/reach programs to maybe get a letter from one and get exposure to programs other than my home ophtho program. I was planning on ocular path at Wills or Iowa for one and then a clinical one at another higher level program. My school doesn't allow electives before July, so I was going to do my home rotation first to secure 2 ophtho letters (unless I get one from an away) and then do my two aways. Does this sound like a reasonable strategy and plan? Also, how many electives does one typically apply for to feel confident that they will be able to have two scheduled, since I would assume August-October would be a little more competitive?

I am a little concerned about my chances coming from a lower tier school and having little/no ophtho research. I am going to try to get a case report at least and hopefully some other ophtho research soon. Do I stand a chance at any higher level programs? I am going to apply broadly and honestly just want to end up at a program where I'm a good fit, but I'd like to get an idea of where I fall in terms of competitiveness. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Bronze Medal said it all... For extra support I'm gonna agree and add another post to the thread :) You have a great application, work hard and be cautiously optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You will almost certainly match at at least a mid tier program. Have a shot at some top programs. I don't know how the rotations work now with the VSAS.

It's hard to do the eagle rotation/ Jeff students are always packing those rotations / you could try to see if you can do it during September or October - late and after your app is due but could get an extra letter from him
Or have him make calls. I would also recommend you consider doing aways at some of the mid to high tier programs where you could really lock in a program after a solid audition / performance on your away. Some of these higher top tier programs may not give you the time of day to really get your monies worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your replies! Bronze Medal, I will definitely take your advice and try to find some ophtho research. For my aways, I am really hoping to do one of them with Dr. Eagle sometime in August-October, but I understand that it is a long shot due to its popularity and am applying to a backup option or two. Thank you again for all your advice - I really appreciate it!