What are my Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDraco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me gauge my likelihood of matching this year
School: Solid Top 10-15 Midwest school
Step 1: 250
Grades: Not AOA, school doesn't rank. Honors in psyche, probably pediatrics and possibly OBGYN, high pass in medicine, surgery and family medicine. Deferred neuro and will be taking it pass/fail. Had 2 week ophtho elective (part of surgery rotation) which I honored at my home school. Doing a full month ophtho elective at home school that I will likely honor
Recommendation letters: One from big-wig chair of home dept, one glowing one from neuro ophtho doc at home dept, one glowing one from pediatrics rotation
Research: Nothing published :(, did some global health research in college, Ortho research MS1-MS2. Didn't discover ophtho until MS3
ECs: Leadership positions in two clinical/habitat outreach programs for underserved areas (mix of habitat work and clinic volunteering)

I'm hoping to match in the midwest, preferably Chicago but I understand that I need to apply broad (70+) and be open geographically. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Eight ball says.....Chances are good....next up.

Reactions: 2 users
I would look at the dozens of similar reassurance threads posted previously. Sounds like you answered your own question in the last line. Do everything you can to match into the great field. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, I would love any input you have about my chances for matching. I am an M3 at a mid-low tier MD school in the southeast without a home program. I came into med school unsure of what I wanted to do for sure, so I'm a little late to the game in terms of Ophtho specific research. I'm from a small rural town, and I'd love to return there to practice as there is currently a 7 month wait to see an Ophthalmologist back home. I already have a good relationship with a private practice doc in the area, and she recently graduated from a program here in the southeast. I would love to remain in the southeast for residency if possible, and the tier of program won't bother me as long as I have the opportunity to match. I am also willing to apply to as many programs as necessary, even if that means taking out an extra loan.

Stats:
Step 1 - 243
AOA/Grades - Not Expecting to be. Likely to be around top 25%, but I don't know for sure./Mostly A's, couple B's, no C's.
Research - Some from undergrad, but never published. One current research project on medical education that we're hoping to get a pub and presentation out of (unrelated to Ophtho).
Optho elective - Won't happen until early in 2017.

Any input, good or bad will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
As an M3 you have time to get involved in a research project for applications. Is there another program in your city that has an Ophtho program? If so I would start talking with them and see if you can't work with one of their attendings. Do you have elective time in 3rd year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Unfortunately, there is not a program in my city. The only elective time I get is next semester. My school has an Ophtho department, and I'm actively trying to see if I can start working with one of them ASAP. I realize there are a lot of logistical issues surrounding exposure to Ophtho faculty and that's where a lot of my anxiety comes from.

Define "next semester"

January-June 2017. Specifically it will be in February 2017.

Can you do an away rotation at that time or do a research rotation with someone ?

It would be an at home rotation. I found out today we have one professor that does retina research at our school. I plan on meeting with him soon to see if I could jump in with him and get some posters or presentations. If I'm able to get some research specific to the field, do you think I'd have a decent shot at matching with 2-3 away rotations during 4th year?

Yeah I think that would be good