What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXMED_1695

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am a pre-medicine student and I am graduating next spring. Currently, my GPA is 4.0 in all my courses. My questions are related to my actions during my freshman year. In 2006, I started my first year of college and I ended up receiving four F’s in my courses. My younger brother was hit by a car and died due to traumatic brain injury toward the end of my semester. I did not explain the situation to my college, and those are on my transcript now. Also, I attended the fall semester and I ended up dropping my classes. Now I have four F’s, and four W’s on my transcript. In 2013, I started college again and I have made all A’s in my courses. My desire is to get into medical school, but my transcript does look bad. I hate using excuses for failures and I do not want to use my younger brother as an excuse for my actions. I am wondering if a high MCAT score and additional achievements would cover for my freshman year.

Members don't see this ad.

Very sorry to hear of your tragedy.

There are plenty of med schools that believe in reinvention. So maintain your academic excellence and do well on the MCAT, and they see that the you of now is not the you of then. You will, at some point, explain why you just didn't withdraw from your classes.

Greetings,

I am a pre-medicine student and I am graduating next spring. Currently, my GPA is 4.0 in all my courses. My questions are related to my actions during my freshman year. In 2006, I started my first year of college and I ended up receiving four F’s in my courses. My younger brother was hit by a car and died due to traumatic brain injury toward the end of my semester. I did not explain the situation to my college, and those are on my transcript now. Also, I attended the fall semester and I ended up dropping my classes. Now I have four F’s, and four W’s on my transcript. In 2013, I started college again and I have made all A’s in my courses. My desire is to get into medical school, but my transcript does look bad. I hate using excuses for failures and I do not want to use my younger brother as an excuse for my actions. I am wondering if a high MCAT score and additional achievements would cover for my freshman year.

Reactions: 1 user