MD & DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

actingnurse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Age at time of applying: 38
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Graduate GPA: 3.4

Will have been an RN for 9 years and will be a fresh Family Nurse Practitioner graduate.
First generation.

What type of MCAT score will I be looking at for Texas MD or DO schools? (In-state resident). Is it possible with this GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you. I still have some chemistry classes to knock out - taking those along with my FNP coursework. Hopefully that can bring the undergrad GPA up somewhat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I still have some chemistry classes to knock out - taking those along with my FNP coursework. Hopefully that can bring the undergrad GPA up somewhat.
It would take a lot more than that to bring it up to TX standards.
Professional school/graduate grades are not averaged into the gpa that is used to evaluate your academic preparedness.
Ask @Marcion.

It would take a lot more than that to bring it up to TX standards.
Professional school/graduate grades are not averaged into the gpa that is used to evaluate your academic preparedness.
It's true about how grades are averaged. I would not categorically rule out getting an II from TX schools; last year my only II came from UTHSCA. However, I do have a 520 MCAT, which helped compensate for my 3.34 uGPA.

You may be getting the worst of both worlds. One of the G-men (can't remember if it was gyngyn or gonnif) told me that schools are hesitant to interview TX applicants as few pass up the low, low price of Texas's instate tuition. If your app doesn't meet the reigning standards in TX, though, then you get screwed coming and going. This may be part of what happened to me last year. I have been living and working in IL this last year so I now qualify as instate for Illinois - and I've already gotten 2 II.

If you take a swing and a miss at the TX schools this year it might be a good idea to list a non-TX address on your AMCAS next year...