DO what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traveldr92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished a biology degree, currently working in a lab. I am an URM. While I was in school, I was the primary caregiver for one of my parents.So, while I have a lot of healthcare experience, it did take away some of my time. I'm leaning towards DO and Caribbean since I know those are my best shot. I was thinking of applying to nearly all the DO schools. Thoughts???
Stats:
-Biology degree, Spanish minor
-503 MCAT
-3.3 cumulative, 3.15 science
-URM
-volunteered 120+ hrs with the underserved
-research for one year
-leadership role in campus club for two years
-extensive shadowing

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for the majority of DO schools. Apply to at least 15 and you should receive several interviews. These are schools where your chances are the best:
ARCOM (new school)
ACOM
BCOM (new school)
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas ( new school)
RVU-Utah ( new school)
UIWSOM (new school-Texas)

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard PCOM has a regional bias to those in tristate/PENN area not 100% but it's what I've heard from these forums

Have you given any consideration to a masters program. It looks like if you could raise your science gpa a bit you would be significantly more competitive for DO schools. Car. schools as other people have said a nightmare. Don't do that to yourself. If you apply broadly to DO schools you might get a few interviews but i would say youre a borderline case but then again you are a URM and as much as people don't like to admit it it makes a difference so.

Have you given any consideration to a masters program. It looks like if you could raise your science gpa a bit you would be significantly more competitive for DO schools. Car. schools as other people have said a nightmare. Don't do that to yourself. If you apply broadly to DO schools you might get a few interviews but i would say youre a borderline case but then again you are a URM and as much as people don't like to admit it it makes a difference so.

Yeah, I'm applying to masters as well. I'm interested in the Drexel Pathways to medicine program (althought I know that could be really tough to get in), I'm looking at applying to Touro's in California because there's guaranteed interview, Nova, and AZCOM's. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm Hispanic.
I should have also probably mentioned that when applying to the Caribbean I would only apply to the big 4, the rest I know are complete diploma mills that will just take my money and run.

hispanic isnt urm.

and ALL the caribbean is diploma mills.

What Hispanic community do you represent? What state are you from?