What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalah

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am applying this June to dental schools. Would anyone be willing to chance me, or tell me if these are enough schools to apply to? Here are my stats:

overall gpa: 3.91
science gpa: 3.89
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.85
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 22 PAT, 22 BIO, 22 GC, 20 OC, 20 QR, 21 RC
Shadowing: 150 hrs
Volunteering: 180 hrs
Residence: California

Here is my list so far:
  1. UoP
  2. UCLA
  3. USC
  4. UCSF
  5. WesternU
  6. NYU
  7. Tufts (MA)
  8. University of Michigan
  9. Creighton (Nebraska)
  10. Roseman university (Utah)
  11. Pittsburgh (PA)
  12. Columbia (NY)
  13. Marquette (Wisconsin)
  14. University of Colorado

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you considered enrolling in a postbacc? Your oGPA seems low...

Reactions: 5 users
Have you considered enrolling in a postbacc? Your oGPA seems low...

For real, someone told me they had a 3.9 postbac GPA, a 24 DAT, applied to 30 schools and only got into 5... That's why I'm worried about where/and how many schools to apply to :/

Members don't see this ad :)
For real, someone told me they had a 3.9 postbac GPA, a 24 DAT, applied to 30 schools and only got into 5... That's why I'm worried about where/and how many schools to apply to :/

Haha no worries. I think for any school except Harvard & Columbia (They have higher DAT by 1 point), you'll be more than enough. Still, your GPA is solid. I think any other school is within reach quite easily. The rest is up to the interview and who you are as a person. Keep in mind some lower schools may straight up reject you because they feel like you'll go somewhere else anyway, had that happen to a couple people I know.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, 3.9 postbacc is not the same as a 3.9 undergrad... They weren't telling you the whole story.

Reactions: 1 users
You fall a bit short. You need to graduate with summa cum laude if you want a decent shot at those schools.

3.91 is summa

For all intents and purposes, sure. But many schools have additional requirements which include but not limited to: number of credits taken, approval of a thesis project, and other auxiliary requirements.

Im here sitting with 3.2 , wish I had your GPA lol

Reactions: 1 users
It's posts like this that give me anxiety and hopelessness about my own chances... have fun in dental school man, you're gonna do great!

With your gpa you're definitely gonna need to retake the DAT and shoot for 24+