what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shayshay11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys! So I am a white female and a Florida resident who has taken the mcat twice and received scores of a 495 both times. I have been taking a Kaplan mcat course with tutoring for 6 months now averaging scores from 500-505. I have received my mcat score back that being a 510. Also, I dropped the course genetics and got a C+ in orgo.
- 500 hours research with two surgeons with a pending publication
- A year of volunteer work with homeless shelter
- Server for 2 years
- Assistant Manager at Dairy Queen for a year
- Shadowed two surgeons and a gastroenterologist
I plan on applying to all the florida schools only
Do I have any shot at any florida schools???
What is your GPA both cumulative and sGPA? And I am confused, you got a 510 on your most recent, actual MCAT? and two 495's how long ago?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a chance at a couple of them. The one I would say may be a big reach is USF because they value the MCAT very highly. UF would be unlikely too. Is there a reason you are only applying in state? Have you considered DO schools?

You have a chance at a couple of them. The one I would say may be a big reach is USF because they value the MCAT very highly. UF would be unlikely too. Is there a reason you are only applying in state? Have you considered DO schools?
I've considered lecom B. Should I apply there as well? And do you think I'll get accepted at any of them?

I've considered lecom B. Should I apply there as well? And do you think I'll get accepted at any of them?
From friends who interviewed/were accepted there, I have not heard good things about the school but if you don't want to leave Florida and don't want to take a year off then you could apply there and also consider Nova. I can't say whether you will or you won't be accepted as I don't know your life experiences, writing ability, red flags, GPA trends, etc.... I can say that FL is a competitive state and it wouldn't surprise me either way. If I were you I would seriously consider applying broadly to out of state schools as well. I would begin preparing for the worst (not saying you won't get accepted, just the prudent thing to do) by getting involved in clinical volunteering and making sure that paper gets published.

From friends who interviewed/were accepted there, I have not heard good things about the school but if you don't want to leave Florida and don't want to take a year off then you could apply there and also consider Nova. I can't say whether you will or you won't be accepted as I don't know your life experiences, writing ability, red flags, GPA trends, etc.... I can say that FL is a competitive state and it wouldn't surprise me either way. If I were you I would seriously consider applying broadly to out of state schools as well. I would begin preparing for the worst (not saying you won't get accepted, just the prudent thing to do) by getting involved in clinical volunteering and making sure that paper gets published.
I withdrew from a genetics course online and got a C+ in orgo but other than that no red flags