What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrobin188743

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how to improve my chances of getting into medical and if you could give me an honest review of my medical school stats so far.

I will be a junior in my undergraduate studies this year (Female, MN resident, Caucasian). I attended a small, private college for the first 2 years of my undergrad studies, but I am transferring this year to U of MN due to financial reasons. No one in my family/close friends are in medicine, if that matters.

2 years at private college:
Commutative GPA: 3.36
I was apart of many extracurricular activities, holding leadership in a few. I was the public relations officer for the Ronald McDonald House Club, the secretary for Women in Science Club, a mentor for underclassman in our Pre-Health Club, and I also was involved in a mentor program with low-income high school children who were going to be first-generation college students.

I obtained my CNA license during my sophomore year of college and worked about 8-10 hours a week for 5 months while still at school. I plan on finding a CNA job close to the U of MN to continue to pursue that, as I really enjoy it.

This past summer I had the wonderful opportunity of conducting research at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I was researching fatty liver disease and the mechanisms behind the disease. With my work this past summer, I will be second or third author on 3 or 4 different papers published in various journals. They have invited me back to work during breaks and next summer, so research with them can continue.

As for volunteer work, I have volunteered at a summer camp with children with Muscular Dystrophy for the past 2 summers. I was paired with a child with the disease and was their counselor/sole care giver for a week. It is an amazing summer camp and it is my favorite week of the summer. I have also volunteered at a local children hospitals. This fall I will be volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House and will also be volunteering at a local hospital working with dementia patients.

As far as shadowing goes, I feel like that is something I am lacking the most. I have shadowed about 4 different doctors, all in different specialities (about 50-60 hours total?). In my senior year of high school I was apart of a mentorship program where I was paired with a surgeon and shadowed a multitude of different surgeons/physicians for 3 months - not sure I can talk about that on medical school applications though, as it was in high school.

As far as the MCAT goes, I have not taken it but plan to take it this coming spring. I have began studying a little, so hoping to get a competitive score on that.

U of MN:
I previous took classes at the U of MN during high school through a program called College in the School (CIS) and took about 40 credits in high school. My GPA coming into the U of MN due to those classes will be a 3.95.

If you could give me honest feedback about my chances so far, application as a whole, and areas to improve, that would be great! Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to increase your cGPA and sGPA to at least 3.5 to have a reasonable chance for MD schools though your current GPA is fine for DO schools. You have enough shadowing hours. Your MCAT score will also be a major factor in your chances. 508 or higher and you are competitive for some MD schools if you increase your GPA. 500 would be acceptable for some DO schools.