DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearded gent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just received my MCAT score today and I'm disappointed to say the least. I believe initial test anxiety got the best of me. Not sure if I should proceed with this current cycle or postpone until next year. Here are my stats: I'm an URM, Black male. I have ~100 hours of clinical volunteer work (shadowing, physical contact, triage, etc.) and ~100 hours of non-healthcare related volunteer work. I have ~200 hours of research in a neuroscience lab (no publications). I was also an undergraduate TA for General Biology. I have 3 letters from science professors, one from research PI, one from hospital pharmacy supervisor and one from Biology lab coordinator. I'm still in the process of getting a letter from a DO. I completed a post bacc with a 3.45 GPA in upper level science classes (24 credits over two semesters). I've already applied and been verified through both AACOMAS and TMDSAS. My current list: TCOM, ACOM, BCOM, UIWSOM (completed secondary for TCOM). Should I add more schools to this list or do my stats warrant improvement before I consider taking any more steps? I realize that my GPA will be screened by some DO schools due to a sub 3.0 cGPA. I'm trying to be positive but the thought of entering medical school at 27 years old, if I don't get in this cycle, drives me crazy! Any help would be appreciated!

MCAT: (C/P: 123 CARS: 121 BIO: 127 P/S: 126)= 497

AACOMAS: cGPA: 2.99
sGPA: 3.12

TMDSAS: cGPA: 3.01
sGPA: 3.01

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats warrant improvement -- I would suggest retaking your MCAT next year and applying next year. Your GPA and MCAT are both poor. ACOM likes high MCAT's (505+) so I really suggest not wasting your time/money sending a secondary, if you receive one. Even more so, don't send out primaries or secondaries at all, because chances are, you wont get accepted and then next year you'll be a repeat applicant which is a red flag. You have time, you're only 27. I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats warrant improvement -- I would suggest retaking your MCAT next year and applying next year. Your GPA and MCAT are both poor. ACOM likes high MCAT's (505+) so I really suggest not wasting your time/money sending a secondary, if you receive one. Even more so, don't send out primaries or secondaries at all, because chances are, you wont get accepted and then next year you'll be a repeat applicant which is a red flag. You have time, you're only 27. I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks for the advice. I did receive a secondary from ACOM a few days ago. As for the primaries, they've already been verified so there's no going back! I'm 25 right now but as a re-applicant I would be entering Fall 2019 at 27 years old. I'm not sure how I would improve my GPA. I've already taken so many credits. My MCAT would be the only area that I could drastically improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would improve and reapply next year. However, if you really want to add another school, I would suggest looking at ARCOM. I read that they accepted sub 500 MCAT last year, but I'm not sure if they screen for low GPAs. I would definitely find out the school's minimums and researching the school before you submit a primary.

Last edited:
Hello,
I just received my MCAT score today and I'm disappointed to say the least. I believe initial test anxiety got the best of me. Not sure if I should proceed with this current cycle or postpone until next year. Here are my stats: I'm an URM, Black male. I have ~100 hours of clinical volunteer work (shadowing, physical contact, triage, etc.) and ~100 hours of non-healthcare related volunteer work. I have ~200 hours of research in a neuroscience lab (no publications). I was also an undergraduate TA for General Biology. I have 3 letters from science professors, one from research PI, one from hospital pharmacy supervisor and one from Biology lab coordinator. I'm still in the process of getting a letter from a DO. I completed a post bacc with a 3.45 GPA in upper level science classes (24 credits over two semesters). I've already applied and been verified through both AACOMAS and TMDSAS. My current list: TCOM, ACOM, BCOM, UIWSOM (completed secondary for TCOM). Should I add more schools to this list or do my stats warrant improvement before I consider taking any more steps? I realize that my GPA will be screened by some DO schools due to a sub 3.0 cGPA. I'm trying to be positive but the thought of entering medical school at 27 years old, if I don't get in this cycle, drives me crazy! Any help would be appreciated!

Well 27 isn't that old man.. The average age is like 24.4 and increasing pretty much every year.

Your GPAs and MCAT are obviously significantly lower than the averages for DO schools. Frankly, you didn't knock your postbacc out of the park either. I know you're saying MCAT is the only thing you could quickly improve in, but that might be worthwhile IMO. At this point in time, I think an adcom reading your app would legitimately fear that you can't handle the coursework. A higher MCAT score would alleviate those concerns to a degree. It's really, really difficult to get in anywhere with a sub 500.

I know this isnt your ideal situation but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck OP!

Hello,

I would add William Carey to your list of schools. Only thing is that they require a physician letter so make sure you have that, if granted a secondary.

Also, your bio and p/s are above average but CARS killed your score. Were you consistently averaging around 121? I know my scores varied greatly (125 one day and then 129 another). Might be worth a shot to retake in Jan and get that score above 500. Again, it depends on your CARS situation.

I would disagree with those who are suggesting no go this year. If you have the money and received secondary go for it especially for new schools. You are spent money on primaries so why not try this year.

All these people saying you have no chance seem to have missed the part where you say that you're a black male.

I really think if you apply broadly enough, you'll get in somewhere. I would add on many more schools.

To be honest, though, what makes me concerned for you isn't your MCAT or your overall GPA - it's the fact that you only made a 3.45 in a post-bac. When you do a post-bac, you give it EVERYTHING you've got, because you know that your ability to get into med school depens on it. In this situation, a 3.45 is worrying - that's pretty much half As and half Bs. If that's your absolute best, I'm a little nervous. Starting medical school made me realize WHY they want people with straight As - making straight As in a 16 credit courseload was tough, but not as hard as keeping up with a med school curriculum.

I would improve and reapply next year. However, if you really want to add another school, I would suggest looking at ARCOM. I read that they accepted sub 500 MCAT last year, but I'm not sure if they screen for low GPAs. I would definitely find out the school's minimums and researching the school before you submit a primary.
I’ll look into their requirements ASAP.
Well 27 isn't that old man.. The average age is like 24.4 and increasing pretty much every year.

Your GPAs and MCAT are obviously significantly lower than the averages for DO schools. Frankly, you didn't knock your postbacc out of the park either. I know you're saying MCAT is the only thing you could quickly improve in, but that might be worthwhile IMO. At this point in time, I think an adcom reading your app would legitimately fear that you can't handle the coursework. A higher MCAT score would alleviate those concerns to a degree. It's really, really difficult to get in anywhere with a sub 500.

I know this isnt your ideal situation but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck OP!
Thanks for your input! I know age shouldn’t be a factor but I always find myself thinking about it. I just need to clear my thought processes in regard to med school.
Also, your bio and p/s are above average but CARS killed your score. Were you consistently averaging around 121? I know my scores varied greatly (125 one day and then 129 another). Might be worth a shot to retake in Jan and get that score above 500. Again, it depends on your CARS situation.
I was averaging a 124-125. Highest was a 126 on FL 1. I was shocked when I saw that score. I only got about half of the CARS questions correct.
All these people saying you have no chance seem to have missed the part where you say that you're a black male.

I really think if you apply broadly enough, you'll get in somewhere. I would add on many more schools.

To be honest, though, what makes me concerned for you isn't your MCAT or your overall GPA - it's the fact that you only made a 3.45 in a post-bac. When you do a post-bac, you give it EVERYTHING you've got, because you know that your ability to get into med school depens on it. In this situation, a 3.45 is worrying - that's pretty much half As and half Bs. If that's your absolute best, I'm a little nervous. Starting medical school made me realize WHY they want people with straight As - making straight As in a 16 credit courseload was tough, but not as hard as keeping up with a med school curriculum.
Well I’m willing to spend the money if it increases my chances of possibly getting an interview. I’ve come this far and I don’t want to throw in the towel on this cycle. I just have to be realistic with my odds of actually getting in this cycle.