what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i would truly appreciate some thoughts. so i just calculated my gpa with my first degree and my new degree together and have a 3.25 cGPA and my 1st degree gpa is a 3.0. my current degree however has a 3.8 cGPA and a 3.8 sGPA. My first degree marks are all over the place but my new degree i have been on the dean's list every semester so i have a significant upward trend. (my old transcript was from 4 years ago) i have a 492 mcat, but i have 8 years of research, been published, co-wrote a medical book, shadowed open heart surgery, did angioplasty on rabbits, worked in cardiac rehab, volunteered to teach comp lit to ppls in kenya, philanthropy chair for my sorority, taught exercise to ppls with physical disabilities, and am a personal trainer. do i have a chance of acceptance to sgu? i also have 3 outstanding references to along with it (my mentor who is chief of cardiology at a very well respected hospital and another surgeon in cardiology as well as a professor i have known for 3 years now).

ps: i did apply already but im just curious what your thoughts are on even getting an interview

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
what does this mean?

The search yielded hundreds of results of "what are my chances". There is, no offense, nothing so unique about your situation that hasn't been answered at least dozens of times before.

None of us knows what SGU's admissions committee will do. You've applied. You're waiting for an answer. Coming here to ask us this question is a bit like asking a barista at Starbucks whether or not you should invest in the company's stock. A lot of this is driven by your personal angst. Most of us who were former medical students and/or currently work with them (or residents) understand this. This is part of life. This is part of your future career as a physician. There is a lot of not knowing and (hopefully) educated guessing. Get used to it. Learn to be comfortable in the grey zone.

So, honest answer? None of us knows. Any reassurance given here is useless. And, if the only goal is to make you feel better, then you should know that it is just a false sense of security you're feeling. Because no one here honestly knows if you'll get an interview. But, this question has been asked a countless times before. Also learn how to exploit information that has already been provided and deduce your own answer. This skill, too, will serve you well as a future (hopefully) physician.

Good luck.

-Skip

i did
The search yielded hundreds of results of "what are my chances". There is, no offense, nothing so unique about your situation that hasn't been answered at least dozens of times before.

None of us knows what SGU's admissions committee will do. You've applied. You're waiting for an answer. Coming here to ask us this question is a bit like asking a barista at Starbucks whether or not you should invest in the company's stock. A lot of this is driven by your personal angst. Most of us who were former medical students and/or work with them (or residents) currently understand this. This is part of life. This is part of your future career as a physician. There is a lot of not knowing and (hopefully) educated guessing. Get used to it. Learn to be comfortable in the grey zone.

So, honest answer? None of us knows. Any reassurance anyone gives you here will be pointless. And, if the goal is to make you feel better, then you should know that it is just a false sense of security you're feeling. Because no one here honestly knows if you'll get an interview. But, this question has been asked a countless times before. Also learn how to exploit information that has already been provided and deduce your own answer. This skill, too, will serve you well as a future (hopefully) physician.

Good luck.

-Skip
i did look. but i couldnt find anything about people who ended up accepted with similar stats thats why i asked.

and

None of us knows what SGU's admissions committee will do. You've applied. You're waiting for an answer. Coming here to ask us this question is a bit like asking a barista at Starbucks whether or not you should invest in the company's stock. A lot of this is driven by your personal angst. Most of us who were former medical students and/or currently work with them (or residents) understand this. This is part of life. This is part of your future career as a physician. There is a lot of not knowing and (hopefully) educated guessing. Get used to it. Learn to be comfortable in the grey zone.

So, honest answer? None of us knows. Any reassurance given here is useless. And, if the only goal is to make you feel better, then you should know that it is just a false sense of security you're feeling. Because no one here honestly knows if you'll get an interview. But, this question has been asked a countless times before. Also learn how to exploit information that has already been provided and deduce your own answer. This skill, too, will serve you well as a future (hopefully) physician.

Good luck.

-Skip
and yeah the grey zone for this is tough because i know my mcat is low. but my hope is that they see that i have matured as a student over the last 3 years and that my consistency in more relevant medical courses are indicative of my abilities. and my experiences etc. honestly if i even get an interivew i will cry haha