What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zizuzizu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Dental graduate from India from Private University. I graduated in 2016. I am currently pursuing MHA in the US and will graduate in December. I am planning to apply for 2021. Below are my stats:
BDS Gpa: 2.9
MHA gpa: 3.9
Home country work experience: 1.5 years
NBDE 1 and 2: taking soon
Volunteering: Since 1 year and will continue for few more months.
Dental Shadowing: 8 months
CE courses: Few
Research experience/ Poster presentation: 1
Kindly share honest opinions about what are my chances and what else can I do to improve my profile.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are low.
Low GPA from India will make it almost impossible to get a single invitation within one cycle, or even a few more years and the prerequisite is you pass both NBDEs within the first attempt.
If you fail in either one of them, even less likely to get into any program within 5 years.
You can take an ADAT if you pass the exams within the first attempt. It can somehow, save you one or two years if you get a very high percentile.
One research is far from enough, try to do at least three and get publications.
Do another M.S. in oral biology will greatly increase your chances. Your current MHA is no helpful in applying for an IDP.
Of course, there are going to be dozens of people trying to cheer you up, and refute me by claiming that they have seen some people get in a program with low GPA from India, even multiple attempts. Sure, you can believe them and risk your own time and money.
Good luck, man!

Reactions: 1 user
I am a Dental graduate from India from Private University. I graduated in 2016. I am currently pursuing MHA in the US and will graduate in December. I am planning to apply for 2021. Below are my stats:
BDS Gpa: 2.9
MHA gpa: 3.9
Home country work experience: 1.5 years
NBDE 1 and 2: taking soon
Volunteering: Since 1 year and will continue for few more months.
Dental Shadowing: 8 months
CE courses: Few
Research experience/ Poster presentation: 1
Kindly share honest opinions about what are my chances and what else can I do to improve my profile.

Toefl score? residency status?
Yes, it is v competitive for Indian grads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are low.
Low GPA from India will make it almost impossible to get a single invitation within one cycle, or even a few more years and the prerequisite is you pass both NBDEs within the first attempt.
If you fail in either one of them, even less likely to get into any program within 5 years.
You can take an ADAT if you pass the exams within the first attempt. It can somehow, save you one or two years if you get a very high percentile.
Do another M.S. in oral biology will greatly increase your chances. Your current MHA is no helpful in applying for an IDP.
Of course, there are going to be dozens of people trying to cheer you up, and refute me by claiming that they have seen some people get in a program with low GPA from India, even multiple attempts. Sure, you can believe them and risk your own time and money.
Good luck, man!
Thank you so much for your honest and detailed feedback! I will try working on my profile taking into account all your suggestions!

Toefl score: 104, Status in US: Permanent Resident
I think you stand a good chance. Good luck with everything. Make sure you perfect bench test skills before landing an interview so you are well prepared. Be prepared that even if you get one interview, you do your best in your hands to turn that into an acceptance. If I were you, I would mention in my SOP something about my low GPA in BDS and how I positively overcame it. All the best.

I think you stand a good chance. Good luck with everything. Make sure you perfect bench test skills before landing an interview so you are well prepared. Be prepared that even if you get one interview, you do your best in your hands to turn that into an acceptance. If I were you, I would mention in my SOP something about my low GPA in BDS and how I positively overcame it. All the best.
Thank you for the motivation and tips! I appreciate!

Chances are low.
Good luck, man!
What would you advise a fresh graduate from India who wants to peruse DDS . I’m very sure that sitting in India and applying for schools won’t help at all . I would want to know which master programs or fellowship I can apply to get benefit later why applying for dental school ?
Home country GPA: 3.64

Chances are low.
Good luck, man!

His GPA is 3.9 in masters that definitely counts something!

His GPA is 3.9 in masters that definitely counts something!
Dental schools wouldn't look into it because it is a MHA.
Getting a GPA of 3.9 even 4 is very very very easy from MPH/MHA/MPA programs in a less-known university.

What would you advise a fresh graduate from India who wants to peruse DDS . I’m very sure that sitting in India and applying for schools won’t help at all . I would want to know which master programs or fellowship I can apply to get benefit later why applying for dental school ?
Home country GPA: 3.64
Check programs offered in a university which has its IDP. Avoid MPA/MHA/MBA. Do as many research studies as you can while in the program.