What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a female from Michigan at U of M undergrad. I only got a 30 (10's all across) on my MCAT's and I only have a 3.3 GPA. But I had a 3.6 until I came down with colitis and various other things and my GPA fell from there. It's also the same time I switched to pre-med (late) and ended up taking the MCAT's while finishing orgo 2. I got an A in orgo1 but then a C in orgo 2 because of the MCAT's and what not and I feel like I really don't have a good chance of acceptance. If I have to take a year off, what should I do during that time?? Do they look down on just traveling abroad for a while and getting a job? Help!!

Members don't see this ad.

berry said:
I am a female from Michigan at U of M undergrad. I only got a 30 (10's all across) on my MCAT's and I only have a 3.3 GPA. But I had a 3.6 until I came down with colitis and various other things and my GPA fell from there. It's also the same time I switched to pre-med (late) and ended up taking the MCAT's while finishing orgo 2. I got an A in orgo1 but then a C in orgo 2 because of the MCAT's and what not and I feel like I really don't have a good chance of acceptance. If I have to take a year off, what should I do during that time?? Do they look down on just traveling abroad for a while and getting a job? Help!!

78.323%

Look, adcoms know that we're all human, and that not all of us are capable of making straight A's. If you came across an obstacle in your undergrad career, just explain it to them on the interview , and I'm sure they will understand. In fact, your transcript proves my point since you got an A in orgo 1, which is fantastic by the way. So I wouldn't worry, and i WOULDN'T GIVE UP JUST YET. Your mcat score is fine, and you're gpa is basically ok. Apply to med schools, and interview well, and i'm sure you'll make it in somewhere.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
dave613 said:
Look, adcoms know that we're all human, and that not all of us are capable of making straight A's. If you came across an obstacle in your undergrad career, just explain it to them on the interview , and I'm sure they will understand. In fact, your transcript proves my point since you got an A in orgo 1, which is fantastic by the way. So I wouldn't worry, and i WOULDN'T GIVE UP JUST YET. Your mcat score is fine, and you're gpa is basically ok. Apply to med schools, and interview well, and i'm sure you'll make it in somewhere.

good luck!

Totally agree...make sure you apply to a broad range of schools...like don't apply to schools only in the top 25 range, and you should be golden. :thumbup:

best of luck :luck:

If the colitis was truly a disability which impaired you, you might refer to an unspecified illness in your personal statement.

I agree with the above, apply to a broad range. You can leave the illness 'unspecified' for now, but be prepared to explain that during your interview. If something happens and you don't get in, I probably wouldn't suggest the whole going abroad and getting a job thing. Unless that involved something medically related somehow, admissions committees would probably file that under 'taking a year off'. They are increasingly wanting to see applicants with 'patient care' experience (ie Wayne State). I would probably pick a hospital and get involved with PC somehow. But, coming from Umich myself, I think you'll be ok.

What have you done outside of class? Did being sick keep you from participating in extracurricular activities, volunteering, etc.? If so, you might want to take a year off anyway to do the things you didn't have time for then. As others have said, your MCAT is fine, and your GPA is fine because you had extenuating circumstances. If you are comfortable talking about your illness in your personal statement, you should, because it will explain the dip in your GPA and also let them know that you really know what it's like to be a patient, which is good. Other than that, don't feel that you have to be constantly making excuses for yourself. Just be up front about it and move on.

berry said:

Well, your 3.3 is crappy (no pun intended), but you still have a fairly moderate chance of acceptance. Your 30 is a score you can work with. However, have you thought about retaking it? Only do so if you have the capacity to score a 35+.

No, they dont look down on just traveling for a while and getting a job.

hey UMich girl. you have a solid mcat and have doubles across which is nice. your 3.3 is not horrendous, but you should prepare to apply to a good number of schools. The good thing is that there is a reason for your drop in grades. It is very understandable and a number of adcoms will take that into consideration. no need to take the mcat over again.
as long as you have an overall strong app by having ECs, experiences etc...and apply to a good mix of schools you should be competitive.

Thanks everyone I feel SO much better now!!! I do have volunteering I was at Mott's at U of M during the year in the Peds ICU and now I'm at Beaumont rotating with an anesthesiologist and my dad in the emergency room. So hopefully that helps some, but I wish I could add my upcoming classes to my gpa since my stupid body is under control and I can probably bring my grades back up. ;)