What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1082996

1. cGPA:2.84 sGPA: 2.29
  2. 479 122/118/121/118 (have to retake (March or April Date TBA)
  3. Florida
  4. Indian-American
  5. University of South Florida
  6. Volunteer at UF Health (Formerly Leesburg Regional Medical Center) (Front Desk and ER) (300 hours) , Volunteer at Citrus Memorial Hospital (ER)(20-30 hours) , Sumter County Youth Center Volunteer (100 hours)
  7. Looking into research
  8. So far only virtual shadowing
  9. Front desk job at Super 8 Motel Tampa
  10. Member of Hindu Student Council at USF, American Cultured Desi at USF, American Red Cross at USF, USF PAMSA
  11. Dean's List (Lake Sumter State College)
School List (Tentative):
Nova College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova College of Allopathic Medicine
Morsani College of Medicine
University of Florida College of Medicine
Georgetown College of Medicine
Emory School of Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Charels E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University
New York Medical College
Drexel University School of Medicine
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
NYU Long Island School of Medicine (Was born in New York so have connections to state)
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Louisiana State University School of Medicine in Shreveport
(More to come)

Am considering a gap year as well

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to do a post bacc with an emphasis on undergraduate level science courses before you apply. You need to take enough courses to increase both your cGPA and sGPA to 3.0 . That will probably take 2 years. You also need to increase your MCAT score to 500 or higher. Do not retake the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 500.

Reactions: 5 users
Could you tell me about maybe doing a masters vs a post bacc?

You just got some great advice. You, my friend, are going to have to re-invent yourself and learn how to study EFFECTIVELY. You need the post bacc. masters is a waste of time and money with no significant benefit.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You just got some great advice. You, my friend, are going to have to re-invent yourself and learn how to study EFFECTIVELY. You need the post bacc. masters is a waste of time and money with no significant benefit.
I will say that the underlined and bolded is generally true, but depends on the situation. If an applicant didn't really need undergrad GPA repair, but instead needed to add research to their application, a Masters program with research built in (and even better if Master's thesis relates to medicine in some way) then it is a solid choice. Masters level classes building on MCAT pre-req classes can also really help with MCAT as well.

That grouping though. 👌👌👌👌

I will say that the underlined and bolded is generally true, but depends on the situation. If an applicant didn't really need undergrad GPA repair, but instead needed to add research to their application, a Masters program with research built in (and even better if Master's thesis relates to medicine in some way) then it is a solid choice. Masters level classes building on MCAT pre-req classes can also really help with MCAT as well.
But this doesn’t apply to the OP even remotely. He has a sGPA of 2.29 and a MCAT of 479. He doesn’t need a masters at all. While the advice you gave him might be viable for some people it isn’t for him. He needs a full on Post Bacc with no mention of a Masters. And even then the chances of him reaching a 3.0 sGPA and a 500 MCAT isn’t a sure thing. OP needs a backup plan too.

But this doesn’t apply to the OP even remotely. He has a sGPA of 2.29 and a MCAT of 479. He doesn’t need a masters at all. While the advice you gave him might be viable for some people it isn’t for him. He needs a full on Post Bacc with no mention of a Masters. And even then the chances of him reaching a 3.0 sGPA and a 500 MCAT isn’t a sure thing. OP needs a backup plan too.
I agree with you, and I wasnt trying to insinuate that OP should do a Masters. I was just trying to point out that there ARE instances where doing a Masters could be benificial. And that situation is not the one OP is in.