What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robert123u

Reaction score
Can you give me an idea of what my chances are looking like?

Top Choice: University of Maryland

With a 3.6 oGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 20 AA, 21 TS

20 PAT
18 QR
20 RC
22 BIO
20 GC
20 OC

I was given a free DAT retake because of technical issues and time lost during the exam. Am planning on retaking within the next 2 months, hoping for 21+

I worked at my moms medical clinic.
I scribed for a year at an ER.

My experiences in both these environments made me realize how much I dislike the medical field.

My mom is a doctor and my dad is a former dentist. So i’ve been getting tugged toward one of the two my whole life.

My father was dx with terminal pancreatic cancer last year which really cemented my path into dental. (rediagnosed benign but it was the worst 2 months of my life).

I have been doing paid bioengineering research (at my school) for a pharmaceutical company for the past 2 years (hoping to continue during my gap year). During my gap year, I will be researching pathological bone growth after dental surgury. First step is opening a grant application.

I’m On Ski Club

Letters of rec:
My BIOE research professor (PI)
The CEO of the company I did research for
My capstone professor
my cell bio professor
dentist i shadowed

100 shadowing hours
100 volunteer hours

I know a lot of my application is med-school related but I genuinely found a distate for the medical field. I do not like seeing people die, I don’t like the human struggle (seeing uninsured families convinced to pay for unnecessary scans and treatments out of pocket, families losing loved ones, people struggling with disease bc they cant afford treatment), patients asking for prescriptions they don’t need, most of all I do not like the uncertainty (3 doctors diagnosing my dad as malignant tumor - including my mom, we realized after biopsy it was benign).

I have not looked at any schools specifically yet, but University of Maryland right now is my top choice (instate). Other schools I plan on applying to will be on the east coast, west coast, colorado, texas, or illinois

After this semester my oGPA/sGPA should be going up. I have had straight A’s for the past 3 semesters since I made the 180 from med to dent, so some upward growth.

Do you think I have a shot at UMD? Or just in general?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely think you have a solid chance at both Maryland and in general. Focus on improving your DAT (I think you have a good chance with your current DAT but if you can boost it up to 22+ your chances will be much better) and on writing a solid personal statement that you can use to explain why dentistry specifically for you. best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
cant speak for Maryland, but you have a great shot and the private schools. (MWU, Atstill, etc)

cant speak for Maryland, but you have a great shot and the private schools. (MWU, Atstill, etc)
I definitely think you have a solid chance at both Maryland and in general. Focus on improving your DAT (I think you have a good chance with your current DAT but if you can boost it up to 22+ your chances will be much better) and on writing a solid personal statement that you can use to explain why dentistry specifically for you. best of luck!
Thank you, I plan on retaking April 24