what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoughts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have sent numerous applications to various md/do schools. I have a 3.6 cum gpa, 3.6 science gpa, masters in biomedical sciences, and a host of EC's and LOR's. I took the MCAT for the first time and got a 14M :mad: which does not go hand and hand with my academics. I plan to retake the MCAT in April. So far I've had one interview which went well but was before the MCAT scores came out-what do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Any reasons on why you think you scored so low on the mcat? What were your practice test scores? Just thought maybe I could offer some advice to maybe help you out for next time. Schools dont look at just stats, but unfortunately that is a very low mcat score. :(

sorry buddy....to be competitive for DO schools you need 25 or better.

Try to enroll in a test prep company like the Princeton Review, if you cannot afford it, you can just get a test prep book from your local bookstore. Nevertheless, do whatever it takes to improve your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the Princeton Review and I didn't like it, so I bought the Examkrackers books and those really helped me a lot. I started out at a 12 with my first practice test and scored a 26 on the real one. Now I have an acceptance and I can breathe easier now that I don't have to take that damn thing again!!! I guess maybe now I could sell my MCAT books..hmmm :idea:

Thoughts said:
I have sent numerous applications to various md/do schools. I have a 3.6 cum gpa, 3.6 science gpa, masters in biomedical sciences, and a host of EC's and LOR's. I took the MCAT for the first time and got a 14M :mad: which does not go hand and hand with my academics. I plan to retake the MCAT in April. So far I've had one interview which went well but was before the MCAT scores came out-what do you all think?

Unfortunately you do not stand much of a chance for admissions to any medical school, MD or DO, with a 14 on the MCAT.

You really need to get this score up into the mid-20's to be competatve.

Good luck,
S

Thoughts said:

I would say if you had at least a 19 or 20 there would be SOME chance, IF you had amazing extracirriculars such as publications and extensive volunteering/community service. I know for my school you really need a above a 20 to even be considered for an interview. Not to sound harsh, but you need to realize you have no chance this year, and focus hard on doing really well on that April MCAT. If you can show considerable improvement, that would be a big positive on you application next year.

Thoughts said:

I'm just AMAZED that you got an interview~! SHEESH! I can only hope....
Good luck and yes, take the MCAT again (as painful as it sounds).

Like others said, your chances are zero. Retake the MCAT and try to find out why you did so bad with a GPA so good :confused:

Did you get an interview before MCAT score where out?

Kaplan has an online course.. if you can't attend classes. I think Princeton Review is own by Kaplan as well... so either is the same $hit. Most people retake the MCAT.

-

Last edited: