what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know, you've seen a ton of these posts already, but I'd love to get an honest opinion on my chances of acceptance into Dental school. Specifically to the four schools I am most interested in. Here are my stats:

Georgetown, BS Biology, minor Psychology
GPA: 3.15 Science GPA: 3.1

DAT: 22 AA, 21 TS, 22 PAT

Lots of shadowing experience, 4 year varsity athlete in college, 3 years of business work experience (non-science).

Top choice schools: Washington, UOP, San Fran, Maryland

I am a washington resident so I'd love to stay here, but if not, I'd like to either be on the west coast or in the DC/Baltimore area if possible.

Sooo, what are my chances? And is there any last minute things I can do to help my chances? I'm thinking of taking another science class or two to add some more recent academics. Good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

KSDDS said:
Yes, I know, you've seen a ton of these posts already, but I'd love to get an honest opinion on my chances of acceptance into Dental school. Specifically to the four schools I am most interested in. Here are my stats:

Lots of shadowing experience, 4 year varsity athlete in college, 3 years of business work experience (non-science).

I am a washington resident so I'd love to stay here, but if not, I'd like to either be on the west coast or in the DC/Baltimore area if possible.

Sooo, what are my chances? And is there any last minute things I can do to help my chances? I'm thinking of taking another science class or two to add some more recent academics. Good idea?

your what I call AVERAGE - good luck! Great DAT scores though! - that probably validates a poor GPA - if those grades came in the basic sciences that is!

ianwright said:
your what I call AVERAGE - good luck! Great DAT scores though! - that probably validates a poor GPA - if those grades came in the basic sciences that is!

u kidding me.. he's a varsity athlete.. of course they're gonna look at that.

Members don't see this ad :)
KSDDS said:

UOP will definitely take an interest in you. That's about it buddy. Every other school except BU and NYU (But, you don't have them on your list) will be very tough to get accepted to. Good luck man :thumbup:

KSDDS said:

your stats look great and are by no means average. your gpa is fine. i think you have a good chance at getting into uop. was your rc 21 or above? have u checked out the adea guide to dental schools? it has detailed stats for all the school. good luck!

Those are some nice DAT scores. How long did u study for the test. What books did u use i'm going to be taking it soon I wish i could pull those scores. Congrats man ur in somewhere for sure!!

bouncy_ball said:
your stats look great and are by no means average. your gpa is fine. i think you have a good chance at getting into uop. was your rc 21 or above? have u checked out the adea guide to dental schools? it has detailed stats for all the school. good luck!

My RC score was 24. I have checked out the adea guide to dental schools and I know where my best possibilities are and will likely apply to BU as a back up, but am hoping for one of the 4 I mentioned. Just curious to see if I had a chance at any of the 4. I know my DAT scores are great, but my GPA is below the average for all four of those schools. I just wanted to see if a GPA of 3.15 will completely knock me out of consideration for Washington, UOP, San Fran and Maryland, or if I still have a small, but reasonable chance.

KSDDS said:

i'm not too familiar with the requirements of the schools you've selected, but with an above 3.0 gpa and great DAT while being in sports, i would think they would give you a good hard look. while on my interview i asked the adcom if it would be to my advantage to take more biology classes and told me not to bother with that. that was my case, but you may want to look into that a little more. you could call the school and talk to the dean of admissions and ask him/her a few questions that you may have. thats what i did. by the way, what sport did you play?

I think you are set. Just apply early. Don't get afraid to apply to a school you are really interested. GPA and DAT are not the only considerations and while your gpa isn't amazing (it's also fine), your DAT makes up for it. Scores aren't the only thing they look at so no one can really judge if you are an "Average" applicant or not. Also, your DAT is well above ave and your grades just below so I disagree that you are merely average.

Go for it! Also, my acceptances were at my reach schools while my safety schools almost all rejected me. You never know what will happen.

KSDDS said:
My RC score was 24. I have checked out the adea guide to dental schools and I know where my best possibilities are and will likely apply to BU as a back up, but am hoping for one of the 4 I mentioned. Just curious to see if I had a chance at any of the 4. I know my DAT scores are great, but my GPA is below the average for all four of those schools. I just wanted to see if a GPA of 3.15 will completely knock me out of consideration for Washington, UOP, San Fran and Maryland, or if I still have a small, but reasonable chance.

that's great! the reason i asked about your rc score is b/c uop is particular about the rc score. 21 or better. i think you can be pretty confident about getting into uop so long as you apply early.

my gpa is lower than yours and i got interviewed at ucla (but not ucsf). their avg gpa is like 3.4 or 3.5, but i did well on the dat too, and somehow got interviewed. i took my dat late so i got placed on the alt list, but hey, that's way more than i had expected! so i think you've got a great shot since it sounds like you're applying soon. don't get down about your gpa, with a dat like yours, i think that you are a competitive applicant. from my experience, a high dat score opens a lot of doors.

i don't know how important gpa is at uw, but it's such a good school! i hope you get in!