what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibo man

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 2.5, DAT 20/20 have taken upper division courses like histology, with B, immunology with B, physiology with B, microbiology with B. Just want some honest answers. Had some problems during my undergraduate school. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Ibo man,
I had similar undergrad scored. Your DAT scores are decent and you have taken upper level courses and done well. That will all look good and in your favor.
Maybe go beyond that and shadow dentists, volunteer, etc. to show the interview committee and admissions board that you are serious about definitely interested in dentistry. Also, contacting the dental admissions officers at the schools you are interested and getting to know them a bit doesn't hurt!!

I couldn't see brianm74's reply, for some reason. Anyway, I think you have a chance. Be sure of what you want and knock 'em dead at the interviews. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can get an interview, you are in pretty good shape. It's getting the interview that's tuff. Your GPA is a bit on the low side...DAT is pretty good but can do a little better to make your app even more appealing. At USC, the lowest GPA i've heard (cumulative) was around 3.1, but that girl had her DAT's in high 20's...like 26 and 27. Apply to schools like BU and NYU. I've read in the ASDA student handbook that odds of getting in to BU was 1/3...NYU also accepts a lot of students. I have a friend who went to NYU dental who graduated from UCLA. Cumulative GPA was 2.7. DAT avg around 24. Got in at the last minute. SO I would say that you're chances a bit on the slim side....my recommendation, retake DAT and raise it to around 22 avg or higher...that'll give you a much better shot at getting an interview. Good luck
Steve

shiesties! steve, who was that with those high dat scores?

Ibo man,

Are those DAT scores and grades, hypothetical scores and grades? I saw in the other thread that you're just planning on taking the DAT at the end of this summer. Is 20/20 the scores you're aiming for or is it your first set DAT scores and you're retaking it again in September?! Also the courses you've mentioned, are these courses that you've already took and received those grades or is it the grades that you're aiming to get?

It's always easy to figure out admissions chances when you have actual numbers and grades to work with. Hypothetical situations are difficult to predict because you don't have that specific situation yet!!

If 20/20 and all "B"s are what you're aiming for to aid your 2.5 undergraduate GPA in the application process, you may have some success. One advice, be sure that those science courses you mentioned are graduate level courses, in that way, your new "B"s will reflect a new graduate level GPA instead of buried in your low undergraduate cumulative GPA. :cool:

Thanks for the advice, I took the dat last year and received those scores,and am planning to take it again some time in september. I have done a lot of volunteering, shadowing a dentist etc. The problem was that I received c's and some d's in my general chemistry, physics and calculus classes. I have taken more than 180 credits which makes it difficult to raise my gpa to above 3.0. By the way those are graduate school classes. Thanks again for your honest reply.

Ibo Man,

Sounded your situation is extremely comparable to mine when I was applying. Your graduate GPA will reflect the "new" you in the application process. Now, all you have to do is to add a little enthusiasm and demonstrate motivation to dental schools by contacting them, you'll be all set. If you increase your DAT scores, then that'll even be better yet!!

Good luck!