What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DimZum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ohk guys, so check this out. I am some what stressed out over this and I would love to hear your opinions. I'm currently an undergraduate student, rising-sophmore.

Fall 2006 I will start my sophomore year. I've fullfilled all of the general chem courses and a bio 101 course. This fall I will be taking bio 102 and organic chem 1. I have PCATs in OCT DURING my bio102 and orgo chem 1 classes...I also registered for the KAPLAN PCAT prep course which will take place during that fall right before the OCT test.

This means that I will have to take the OCT PCATS with a lack of courses: bio102 (which is basically bio 2), organic chem 1 and 2.

Question 1: Do I take my chances and take the OCT test? hoping that prep course will help me?

cons: gpa might suffer due to focus on pcats.

OPTION 2:
Cancel PCAT OCT register for PCAT JANuary.

This will allow me to finish my bio 2 and organic chem 1 and I will only be missing organic chem 2. I will also have winter break to study more.

con: by cancelling OCT test, I will basically have one chance, the JAN. test, to score well and get into the Fall 2007 pharmacy class. IF I do bad on pcats in JAN, I will have to wait until JUNE to take it again which means I will have to spend another year as an undergrad and not be accepted to the FAll 2007 class.

Do I keep the OCT test date, and hope that I do good, if I don't then I will have experience for already taking the test, and I will have a second chance in Jan to try and do better? Or should I just focus on the Jan date and forget about OCT?

any advice will help. want to know more just ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure taking the pcat in jan will be okay for the fall 2007 admissions? For most of the schools i've looked at they usually require the latest pcat to be taken in october. make sure with the schools you're applying to. Also, taking it the same time as bio and orgo will also benefit you - it'll be fresh in your head and you shouldn't really need to study it a lot when studying for pcats cuz you're doing it during exams.

January PCATs are late for many schools. This may or may not apply to you, but since you are only a sophomore, it wont be the end of the world if you dont get in for 2007.

IMO, you should take the October PCAT because most schools do not penalize for low schools and will take your highest. If you dont do as well as you thought you should and January PCAT will be too late for 2007, take it again after completion of Orgo II (so next June). This would maximize your benefit in anticipation for 2008 admissions.

Note that my suggestions are contingent upon a low score in October and also if those schools will not consider the January test. You will definitely benefit the most next June when both Orgos have been completed as it will be fresh in your head. And contrary to popular belief, there are Orgo II questions on this exam. Also, if you haven't taken Microbiology or Calculus, those would be good additions to your schedule for the fall and/or spring semesters as they are tested as well.

You are at a disadvantage at the get-go. More and more schools are putting more weight on having a bachelor degree. But take the test anyway. You can always retake it. And you already spent the money on it.