What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wanted some feedback on my chances of getting into a good medical school.

My first semester in college I did horribly. Got a 2.79, which included 1 A, 1 B and about 3 Cs. That was my wake-up call. I was determined to do better the next semester.

The next semester I got a 3.5. This included an A+ in Human Physiology which I was very proud of.

I am a hard worker to this day. Dedicated. Studies everyday. I tutor students in my class in biology and chemistry.

The thing is though I get A's in all my biology classes and do resonably well in Chemistry (A-, B), the effects of doing well in these classes is exactly cancelled out by not doing well in non-science classses like Political science, history etc.

Sophmore year I got 3.0 and 3.2

My overall GPA is 3.2

I have a job in a pharmacy as a pharmacy technician, here I learn a tremendous lot about medication and uses.

I volunteer at the hospital, I do some extracurricular activities.

The bottom line is I'm a superb science student, but my GPA doesn't reflect that because I'm not as well rounded as I should be.

I have junior year and senior year left and I strongly believe that I will get straight A's as I'm working on being a better rounded student.

I anticipate that when I apply I may have a 3.4, but there will clearly be an upward trend.

I truly think I will do very well on the MCAT since I'm strong in science, English and creative writing.

What do you all think....
Do I have a shot at NYU, Columbia or Cornell?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I am in the same shoes as you are except that I am applying right now. I will have 3.4 AO and 3.5 in sciences if I have all A's during my senior year.

Not to be harsh but, you can "think" all you want about the mcat, but that doesn't mean anything until you go out and earn your score. Its not an easy test to begin with, and to assume that you are gonna do well enough to get into top tier schools is silly. Go take the exam, get your score and then comeback and ask what your chances are. With the score you'll get a much more meaningful response to your question. Without the mcat score everything is just a very wild guess, and wild guesses don't mean a thing.

good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can say you'll do well on mcats if u r scoring 37+ on practice tests consistently.

w/ ur gpa and other factors, i think u need to score maybe 36+ to have a good chance at those 3 schools u mentioned. unless u r URM of course. if you are, then u just need maybe 30 w/ ur grades.

good luck in 3 weeks.

so you're saying that your gpa is important but not so important? Its the MCAT that carries the most weight? If so then that's good news to me, cause it's like I got a new start.

Also, I am a URM, does that help?

oh!

don't worry bout it then. you have a great shot. just get a 30, and u'll probably have >60% chance at those schools. every point you get above that will increase ur chance even more. congrats for ur achievement!

are u being sarcastic

Originally posted by dr kevin40
oh!

don't worry bout it then. you have a great shot. just get a 30, and u'll probably have >60% chance at those schools. every point you get above that will increase ur chance even more. congrats for ur achievement!

I think he's being facetious. From what I've heard, it's not all that much easier for URM's to get into these top programs than anyone else. I used to resent URMs, but when I found out it doesn't help you that much, I don't think I do anymore. There a great statistical breakdown of stats for the top 12 on the mstp forum, it shows the average URMs scores are ~10-11's.

the avg URM score is 10-11?
u've got to be kidding me.

i wasn't being facetious at all.

Not to trout slap you but I think you need to think about the words you are using..."good" medical school=any school you get into, even better is one in the US.

Honestly, looking at the school you went to a CUNY and your GPA you better score amazing on the MCAT. Those schools give preference to highly competitive undergraduate institutions, not saying it is impossible. If you are set on going to one of those schools you better take some serious upper level courses (yes possibly even graduate level and kick butt). Also I agree with one of the above posters, URMs at top schools have done just as well as everyone else if not better. I again am not saying this won't help you get into medical school but if that is what you are going to fall back on you better find something else! I am also doing the math here...a 2.79 first year followed by a 3.0 semester and a 3.2 semester really doesn't equate to a 3.2 overall???? Also remember your senior year grades will never be added in to your application.

One more thing....although your extracurricular are good they are not stellar! Last year I meet some amazing people, who didn't even get interviews at those schools (many peace core volunteers, individuals who started organizations etc.) You need to do something unique to stand out from the other 1000 applicants they interview. You still have a year to think about that!!!! Also you are looking at 3 very academic schools you may want to seriously consider doing research, but of course this is always a trade off because to do a great job it usually is an enormous time guzzler!

And lastly, not to sound like a worn out record....there seems to be a huge misconception that top ten school=good physician. You will be a great physician if you are a great person independent of where you go! Again sorry for the trout slap but don't belittle or exclude any school!

i got a 2.79 at the end of the first semester...End of first year I had a 3.25

I agree I need to do more extacurriuclur activities and something that will stand out. I am doing research and am getting a paying job at one of the teaching hospitals of Cornell and Columbia...I'm trying to grab on to anything I can that might give me a boost.

I no way am I relying on being URM. Before tonight I had no idea that it was easier for URMs. I am relying on hard work and perseverance and having an excellent junior year.