what are my chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohgee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...

I am a California resident, so I really want to get into either UCLA or UCSF. The problems is, both of these schools are hard to get in!!!

I just took my DAT the end of last month, my science avg is 22, RCT 19, QRT 20, but my PAT is only 17!!!
I read the official guide to Dental schools, and it says that both schools treat PAT score pretty importantly, and am I screwed? should I retake it again? I felt like Topscore and Kaplan didn't give me adequate practice because those are easy, and I've been getting 22s....but this 17 in the real test was shocking...

Here is my other stats,

I volunteer for a free community clinic for 150 hours, ~40 are dental related, I have shadowed a dentist for about 1/2 year for about 80 hour and volunteered in another dental practice for about 60 hours.

I did research in Neurology for one year, did a poster.

My science GPA is about 3.65, overall 3.63.

I HAVEN'T subimit my application yet!! I will within this two weeks though.

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

ohgee,

don't put yourself down. You didn't fail. This year it has become the norm to see below 20 on the PAT. I think they are making it much more harder than before. If this is true, then all dental schools will realize that since there is a huge fluctuation of the averages. You have stellar GPA/ EC's. I think the biggest determining factor is going to be how well you do on the interview. I think you should be fine.

I would not get discouraged and don't even think about taking that Blasted exam again. Its not worth it with your scores.

DesiDentist

Although i was depressed earlier this afternoon because my dentist only wrote me a very short letter of rec (like..8 lines)
thank you guys for the support, i feel much better now...

It just the difference in tuition, like $10000/year vs $40000!!

Thanks!!!:p

haha, you got one of those short LOR's.
Been there done that, as long as they are 8 good lines that is what counts.

Don't worry,

And about tuition, trust me you're going to be making more than you can handle. A few hundred Gs shouldn't depress you.

DesiDentist