What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenstandard2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okee, so here it is:
3.61 (although since my freshman year, I think my GPA is around a 3.75 if that matters? And my science GPA is around 3.65)

38R

2 + years of research

Around 1 year of clinical experience

1 + year of volunteer work

I am a CA resident, and I would really, really love to get into a CA school, but they are really competitive. I feel that aside from my GPA, every other part of application is competitive. Does my GPA preclude me from the bulk of the CA schools (ie except Davis, Irvine) or do I still have a fighting chance? Also, outside of California, what level of schools (and specific schools) do you think I would be a good candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you've got a terrific chance at CA schools, and while I'm not expert at CA schools, I would think that your gpa is fine, especially given your amazing MCAT score (and given you say the rest of your app is great too). But since it is CA we're talking about, I'd also apply to some out of state schools. Pick some cities/states you'd be interested in living in if no other factor jumps to mind for med school selection. Or suggest what you're looking for in a med school. Otherwise it's hard to suggest schools. With your stellar MCAT and solid gpa I think you'd have a shot at most any school if your ECs, personal statement, LORs, etc. are great too.

The one school that jumps to mind would be Wash U since they seem to really cater to high MCAT scorers.

I was thinking non-UC schools such as; NYU, AECOM, jefferson, temple, all the schools in chicago area, all boston area schools, USC, then maybe some stretch schools such as mayo, washington, st louis. How do these sound?