what are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dynamitedan14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into Saint Georges University for fall of 2009. My undergrad GPA is 3.82 with a 3.98 science GPA. I have volunteered in an emergency room for 2 yrs and worked at my job (non-science related) for 5 yrs. The thing is my MCAT score was only a 24 with an 8 on each section. So what do you think my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like your GPA makes up for the MCAT. Should have no problem getting in.

With an 8 per section, you might potentially have a shot in the US, particularly at DO schools, unless you just don't want to try for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
naa i dont really want to be a DO. I know a lot of successful doctors that went to the Caribbean so I want to do that

Hmmm... where did you go for undergrad by the way?

I think you should attempt a few more retakes of the MCAT and shoot for an MD school. Put a few months dilligent study into it.

I went to St. Thomas... its a school in NY. I think im gonna do that if I don't get into SGU. I know i could do better, i really didn't study as hard as I could have, but i really don't feel like taking a yr off.

I know i could do better, i really didn't study as hard as I could have, but i really don't feel like taking a yr off.

You realize that you'll have to take the boards that are significantly more overwhelming than the MCAT right?

Take a few months (maybe even one month) to study if you know you could do better. Take the rest of that year to get better ECs or research. You'll be much better off in the match if you gave going to a domestic school a shot.

You have a fine GPA, don't waste it until you've exhausted your options.

actually, let me rephrase this statement: I know i could do better, i really didn't study as hard as I could have.

I did study hard. I should have said i studied wrong. I tried to memorize the kaplan book instead of trying to understand it all. Thats where i screwed up

Haha, found you again! Let me go into a bit more depth. Just about EVERY single St. George's student going into the match would KILL for the opportunity to go back in time and get into a US school.

You don't have to kill. All you have to do is spend the next year of your life studying for a few hours a week, put up a 30 on the MCAT (totally do-able), and then split the rest of your time between some sort of productive work/volunteer experience and going out and enjoying your life. BTW most medical students would also KILL for the opportunity to have a full year of enjoyable life. Med school is the death of fun...

But, if you really want to apply, by all means, help unneccessarily bring up the statistics for my future alma...

Last edited:
With a GPA like yours, a not so good MCAT can be overlooked. In cases like yours, letters of reference, consistency of good grades and performance, passing courses on first attempts, and a stable and pleasant personality should get you in.