What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeyehutch10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am coming up on the end of my 4th year at Ohio State and wanted to see what everyone thought about my chances at getting into a decent medical school.

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 32Q

~200hrs Pre-Op/OR/Recovery Volunteering
2 Year Employee OSU Ortho Surgery
2 Research Publications (Radiology & Ortho)
2 Years Physician Shadowing OSU Sports Medicine
SB10' Physician Shadowing Wash. U. St. Louis Ortho

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I am coming up on the end of my 4th year at Ohio State and wanted to see what everyone thought about my chances at getting into a decent medical school.

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 32Q

~200hrs Pre-Op/OR/Recovery Volunteering
2 Year Employee OSU Ortho Surgery
2 Research Publications (Radiology & Ortho)
2 Years Physician Shadowing OSU Sports Medicine
SB10' Physician Shadowing Wash. U. St. Louis Ortho

What are my chances?

Any non-medical volunteering? What about leadership?

Your GPA is definitely on the lower side (esp your sGPA). If you have worked many hours per week consistently, that will help explain the GPA. Your solid MCAT will also help. I think you have a good chance IF you apply broadly and appeal to each school's "fit" factor. It would be a mistake to neglect DO schoosls.

I should have also mentioned that the low GPA can be attributed to 6 major surgeries I underwent during my first two years of college. Therefore, my GPA has a significant upward trend throughout 4 years.

Also, I am earning 2 degrees (Biology & Finance) within 4 years, which was a challenge in itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Illegallysmooth took the words right out of my keyboard. I think you might have a chance at a few of your state's schools. Will your BCPM GPA come up at the end of this semester? It's another weak point, as it is right now.

Don't forget to mention hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors.