What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobe3mat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances: 3.0 sciences, 3.3 cumulative gpa
lots of volunteering w/ church (i've been volunteering for 15 years)
volunteering at the local hospital (113 hours)
no dental experience yet
upward trend for the past two years average 3.5 each quarter

Members don't see this ad.

no dental experience yet

My Dental School Acceptance Percentage Calculator doesn't work without a DAT score.

I have taken the DAT yet I am just wondering if I even have a chance before trying.

Members don't see this ad :)
no dental experience yet

please provide us with ur DAT and we will have a better idea. i say with your GPA you would need above 21 AA DAT for a good chance

I have taken the DAT yet I am just wondering if I even have a chance before trying.

Well, it's going to be hard with a 3.0 science GPA, but people make it up for it with great ECs. The average matriculant to dental school has a GPA around 3.5, so your GPA is not too far behind.

Get some dental shadowing hours done though. At least 50 hours. It'll give you more exposure to dentistry and will let you decide if it's for you.

Well, it's going to be hard with a 3.0 science GPA, but people make it up for it with great ECs. The average matriculant to dental school has a GPA around 3.5, so your GPA is not too far behind.

I don't necessarily agree with the bolded... GPA and DAT scores get you the interview, ECs are just icing on the cake. Unless you did something super awesome ie: founded the red cross, discovered a new element, or invented a vaccine for AIDS, don't count on any EC saving a sub par GPA/DAT.

That being said a 3.0 is pretty low, i would personally recommend doing a year of informal post bac sciences and go from there. Hopefully after 21-30 credits, your GPA can be somewhere around a 3.2 sci. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Get some dental shadowing hours done though. At least 50 hours. It'll give you more exposure to dentistry and will let you decide if it's for you.

I agree with UltimateHombre.... No amount of ECs can make up for poor grades.

To OP~
The GPA isn't the issue, its the science. 3.0 is low for any school, but as you said, you have a strong upward trend (I am assuming in the sciences), that coupled with a strong DAT should get you some interviews.

You will want to get dentistry experience before applying to dental school. That is the first thing I would worry about. Then, if you decide dentistry is for you, take more science classes (with A's) and score high on the DAT.

But the most important thing at this stage is to find out if this profession is right for you!