1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by cobe3mat, Aug 13, 2011.

1. cobe3mat

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What are my chances: 3.0 sciences, 3.3 cumulative gpa
    lots of volunteering w/ church (i've been volunteering for 15 years)
    volunteering at the local hospital (113 hours)
    no dental experience yet
    upward trend for the past two years average 3.5 each quarter

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AlbinoPolarBear

7+ Year Member

My Dental School Acceptance Percentage Calculator doesn't work without a DAT score.

4. cobe3mat

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have taken the DAT yet I am just wondering if I even have a chance before trying.

5. KenKim

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    please provide us with ur DAT and we will have a better idea. i say with your GPA you would need above 21 AA DAT for a good chance

6. AlbinoPolarBear

7+ Year Member

Well, it's going to be hard with a 3.0 science GPA, but people make it up for it with great ECs. The average matriculant to dental school has a GPA around 3.5, so your GPA is not too far behind.

Get some dental shadowing hours done though. At least 50 hours. It'll give you more exposure to dentistry and will let you decide if it's for you.

7. UltimateHombre

UltimateHombre Doc Holliday D.D.S.
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't necessarily agree with the bolded... GPA and DAT scores get you the interview, ECs are just icing on the cake. Unless you did something super awesome ie: founded the red cross, discovered a new element, or invented a vaccine for AIDS, don't count on any EC saving a sub par GPA/DAT.

That being said a 3.0 is pretty low, i would personally recommend doing a year of informal post bac sciences and go from there. Hopefully after 21-30 credits, your GPA can be somewhere around a 3.2 sci. Good luck!!

#6 UltimateHombre, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  8. dentalWorks

dentalWorks Nights Watchmen
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I agree with UltimateHombre.... No amount of ECs can make up for poor grades.

To OP~
    The GPA isn't the issue, its the science. 3.0 is low for any school, but as you said, you have a strong upward trend (I am assuming in the sciences), that coupled with a strong DAT should get you some interviews.

9. Golfguy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You will want to get dentistry experience before applying to dental school. That is the first thing I would worry about. Then, if you decide dentistry is for you, take more science classes (with A's) and score high on the DAT.

But the most important thing at this stage is to find out if this profession is right for you!

10. lmaozedong1

IMO your GPA is too low.