What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted483737

Hey everyone! I'm new to the board, but wanted to see what you guys think about my current grades/activities and if you could help in any way to make me a more competitive applicant.

Ugrad GPA: 3.3
Post-bacc (all sciences): 3.9
MCAT: Not yet

I was a Philosophy major during ugrad and only took 1 math class (Calc II with a B) and 1 biology class (Women's Health and Reproduction with a B) and am completing a second bachelor's degree at a nearby university. Hence, the 3.9 GPA includes Gen Bio I and II, Orgo I and II, Cell Biology, Gen Chem I and II and, (soon) Genetics.

Volunteer: I am currently volunteering 3 hrs/wk on a domestic abuse hotline. My ultimate goal is to work in women's health, so I want to get as much experience working with women as possible. I just started doing this and will have done it for a little over a year when I apply. I am also shadowing my Ob/Gyn for 3+hrs/wk and have shadowed doctors in other areas of medicine (orthopedics) to see if they interest me. I also hope to begin volunteering at a hospital this fall.

Teaching: I lead my own class of students in General Chemistry I topics and will have done this for 1.5 years when I apply to med school. I also work as an ACT/science subject tutor for a test prep company and I will have done that for a little over a year when I apply.

Research: I did research on the development of targeted cancer therapy at the University of Minnesota for 6 months.

I am looking to apply to all of the Chicago schools (since I am a resident here and want to stay near my aging parents) but am willing to go elsewhere.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

im assuming you're not trying to apply this cycle?

it's hard to judge without knowing your mcat score, but the 3.9 post bacc is great. you're a little lacking in ECs right now. def try and get more exposure between now and when you apply. other than that looks good

im assuming you're not trying to apply this cycle?

it's hard to judge without knowing your mcat score, but the 3.9 post bacc is great. you're a little lacking in ECs right now. def try and get more exposure between now and when you apply. other than that looks good

What kind of extracurrics would you recommend?

And, oh of course I'm not applying this cycle! I still have Physics 1 and 2 to take, so I have a year and some from now to apply. I am planning on taking an MCAT prep course next summer and trying to construct my application and have everything ready to go by the time I take my MCAT in September.

I'm going to continue taking upper level science courses this year (Physics ! and Biochem in the fail and Physics II and Microbio/Virology in the spring) just to show my continued academic excellence.