What are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCDEMS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT score back and was very disappointed. I took it on 08/16 and scored a full three points below my average. I got a 25 S (8 VR, 9 PS, 8 Bio). Again, very disappointed and a little stunned at the entire endeavor. I studied a good portion of the summer. The verbal reasoning is particularly weird, because I was typically scoring at least a 10 on all of my practice exams.

So here is a little about me (non-traditional applicant):

3.85 cGPA, 3.56sGPA, 25 S

Full-time Paramedic for five years. Manager of a rural ambulance service. Bachelor's Degree is in healthcare related field.

Over 6,000 volunteer hours spanning 10 years with one volunteer EMS department. Started when I was still in high school. Thousands of individual patient contacts.

Published chapter in an EMS textbook.

Several awards, including one for successful resuscitation of a patient in the field.

Numerous awards and scholarships. President and Dean's list X 4, academic honors X 6. Paramedic of the Year X 3.

TA for biology with recommendation from professor.

Former President of campus safety organization.

Letters of recommendation from a DO and four professors.

Possible concerns: Postbac at a local community college for some of my prerequisites, but I also live in a fairly rural area with no immediately close 4-year institutions. It was purely a choice of cost and location.

I submitted my application back in mid-August and it's still being processed. MCAT scores were sent yesterday once I received them. My wife and I are trying to decide if I'm a competitive applicant for DO (I was never super interested in the allopathic pathway and my application was written that way before I ever got my MCAT score). I'm personally very attracted to the DO philosophy and have had great experiences professionally with DOs. I'm slightly below the average for matriculating students last year (MCAT). I've applied to about 10 Osteopathic schools, but have a select few in mind as to where I'd like to go, although I understand that I may not be in a position to be choosey.

I know that I'll be complete in the middle portion of the application cycle and that interview requests are already flying off the shelf. There are several things pushing my wife and I towards applying this year: cost (we've invested thousands and thousands of dollars in my education, MCAT books, traveling, etc.) and home related stress. Between my already stressful job, and my responsibilities as a manager, preparing for this endeavor has been very taxing. We've started preparing financially for a possible matriculation too, so we're heavily invested. I'm concerned about possibly being a reapplicant.

The big debate is the cost (again, we're not well off) and the fact that some advisors still believe I'm competitive for this cycle. Looking for some analysis by the SDN crowd.

P.S. First time poster, long time lurker.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got my MCAT score back and was very disappointed. I took it on 08/16 and scored a full three points below my average. I got a 25 S (8 VR, 9 PS, 8 Bio). Again, very disappointed and a little stunned at the entire endeavor. I studied a good portion of the summer. The verbal reasoning is particularly weird, because I was typically scoring at least a 10 on all of my practice exams.

3.85 cGPA, 3.56sGPA, 25 S

Full-time Paramedic for five years. Manager of a rural ambulance service. Bachelor's Degree is in healthcare related field.

Over 6,000 volunteer hours spanning 10 years with one volunteer EMS department. Started when I was still in high school. Thousands of individual patient contacts.

Published chapter in an EMS textbook.

Several awards, including one for successful resuscitation of a patient in the field.

Numerous awards and scholarships. President and Dean's list X 4, academic honors X 6. Paramedic of the Year X 3.

TA for biology with recommendation from professor.

Former President of campus safety organization.

Letters of recommendation from a DO and four professors.

Possible concerns: Postbac at a local community college for some of my prerequisites, but I also live in a fairly rural area with no immediately close 4-year institutions. It was purely a choice of cost and location.

I submitted my application back in mid-August and it's still being processed. MCAT scores were sent yesterday once I received them. My wife and I are trying to decide if I'm a competitive applicant for DO (I was never super interested in the allopathic pathway and my application was written that way before I ever got my MCAT score). I'm personally very attracted to the DO philosophy and have had great experiences professionally with DOs. I'm slightly below the average for matriculating students last year (MCAT). I've applied to about 10 Osteopathic schools, but have a select few in mind as to where I'd like to go, although I understand that I may not be in a position to be choosey.

I know that I'll be complete in the middle portion of the application cycle and that interview requests are already flying off the shelf. There are several things pushing my wife and I towards applying this year: cost (we've invested thousands and thousands of dollars in my education, MCAT books, traveling, etc.) and home related stress. Between my already stressful job, and my responsibilities as a manager, preparing for this endeavor has been very taxing. We've started preparing financially for a possible matriculation too, so we're heavily invested. I'm concerned about possibly being a reapplicant.

The big debate is the cost (again, we're not well off) and the fact that some advisors still believe I'm competitive for this cycle. Looking for some analysis by the SDN crowd.

P.S. First time poster, long time lurker.

You have really good EC's and a great gpa. The only thing even remotely iffy is the MCAT, but it is balanced and right at the average for a lot of DO schools. Everyone on SDN is all about applying early, and there might be people that say you have no shot for this cycle because they are biased by what they hear here. I would venture to say you have a pretty great shot at getting in this cycle. If I had any advice it would be to pre-write your secondaries so when you are verified and you get them you can have a fast turnaround. I honestly think you have a shot wherever you apply (even the "higher tier" DO schools that might have a higher MCAT average) due to the rest of your application. I say most definitely go for it. Good luck! Keep us updated :)

You have a very good chance. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Why not trying retake your mcat since your gpa is so high to open up more doors?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a very good chance. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Why not trying retake your mcat since your gpa is so high to open up more doors?

I absolutely would, but there are no more dates for 2012 :(

If I'm forced to reapply, I will probably try and invest in a official preparation class. I did all of my studying at home using TBR. Most frustrating is that my practice exams (under simulated conditions) and TBR practice problems were generally reflecting a better score. Not sure if I just had a bad day, but I think I would benefit from an actual prep course. Unfortunately, the cost and distance to the nearest location were what kept my wife and I from considering it this time (the nearest prep course is over 40 miles away, one way). I also work full-time, so getting that type of time off can be difficult.

Another year would be fairly costly to us, so I'm hoping that I'm an attractive applicant to a few schools.

I'd like to thank you both for replying. I do value the opinion of the people here. Keep 'em coming if you're inclined.

Quit fussing; you're fine for any DO school. I hope you apply to mine!

3.85 cGPA, 3.56sGPA, 25 S .