What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying2pharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm a junior at UW-Whitewater with a GPA of 3.62. I'm on track to get a BS in Chemistry with a Bio minor. I've job shadowed a pharmacist before, and I've been working as a Pharmacy Tech. for a few weeks now; getting good LORs from professors and pharmacists will be relatively easy. I plan on applying to UW-Madison's pharmacy program this upcoming fall.

I guess my question is: What do you think my chances of being admitted to UW-Madison/any pharmacy school?

After talking to one of the pharmacists at work, I've been some what worried. She was explaining her doubts of her daughter making it into pharmacy school even though her daughter had a 3.5 GPA and plenty of volunteer work. This is a concern for me because I have no volunteer work.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,

I'm a junior at UW-Whitewater with a GPA of 3.62. I'm on track to get a BS in Chemistry with a Bio minor. I've job shadowed a pharmacist before, and I've been working as a Pharmacy Tech. for a few weeks now; getting good LORs from professors and pharmacists will be relatively easy. I plan on applying to UW-Madison's pharmacy program this upcoming fall.

I guess my question is: What do you think my chances of being admitted to UW-Madison/any pharmacy school?

After talking to one of the pharmacists at work, I've been some what worried. She was explaining her doubts of her daughter making it into pharmacy school even though her daughter had a 3.5 GPA and plenty of volunteer work. This is a concern for me because I have no volunteer work.

http://pharmacy.wisc.edu/academics/doctor-pharmacy-program/admissions/selection-criteria

Cover as many bullet points as possible on their selection criteria and you may have a chance. Your GPA is slightly above average compared to accepted students, but by no means will make you look unique. You need to cover all bases or you're flipping a coin when you apply to UW-Madison. It's difficult to tell your chances without knowing your PCAT score, which I assume you haven't taken. Here's my advice:

-Ace the rest of your pre-requisites and bring your GPA up to 3.7+
-Score at least 74%ile (UW's average) or bare minimum 50%ile on the PCAT. Study using Dr. Collins
-VOLUNTEER wherever you can, even if you only accumulate 25 hours. Try to find pharmacy volunteer experience in an area other than what your job is.
-I wouldn't worry about getting PTCB Certified, doubt that will help your chances. You might get a raise where you work if you do though.
-Find a leadership position in something if you haven't already done so
-Get good at interviewing, do mock interviews

http://pharmacy.wisc.edu/academics/doctor-pharmacy-program/admissions/selection-criteria

Cover as many bullet points as possible on their selection criteria and you may have a chance. Your GPA is slightly above average compared to accepted students, but by no means will make you look unique. You need to cover all bases or you're flipping a coin when you apply to UW-Madison. It's difficult to tell your chances without knowing your PCAT score, which I assume you haven't taken. Here's my advice:

-Ace the rest of your pre-requisites and bring your GPA up to 3.7+
-Score at least 74%ile (UW's average) or bare minimum 50%ile on the PCAT. Study using Dr. Collins
-VOLUNTEER wherever you can, even if you only accumulate 25 hours. Try to find pharmacy volunteer experience in an area other than what your job is.
-I wouldn't worry about getting PTCB Certified, doubt that will help your chances. You might get a raise where you work if you do though.
-Find a leadership position in something if you haven't already done so
-Get good at interviewing, do mock interviews

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.