What are my odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm1091281

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I was wondering if you can help me and give me some insight regarding if I have a chance of getting into pharmacy school without a bachelors

I have taken all prerequisites besides ochem which I'm finishing this coming fall and spring. I have a 3.6 gpa. I am a licensed and ptcb certified pharmacy technician and have been working in at CVS for the last 5 years in the pharmacy. I also began volunteering at an inpatient pharmacy for the last year. I have letters of rec from my physics professor and microbiology professor along with 3 really strong letters of recommendations from 2 pharmacy managers and a hospital pharmacist.

I even applied to a pharmacy job that would have paid $30 an hour but declined it because I really want to finish school and apply to pharmacy school for fall 2018 in California. Sometimes I think I should have just said screw it and taken that position but then think if I just go a little more I can get into pharmacy school

The schools I'm looking into are California Northstate or UOP or any of the Northern California schools but it seems so hard I would like to stay in this general area.

I figure I can apply this year and take my chances then finish up my bachelors since I got into UC Davis and Sac state but it's all about deciding what to do that's the most efficient way possible

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I even applied to a pharmacy job that would have paid $30 an hour but declined it because I really want to finish school and apply to pharmacy school for fall 2018 in California. Sometimes I think I should have just said screw it and taken that position but then think if I just go a little more I can get into pharmacy school

I would take the $30/hour position if it's still available, or find a different profession. That is the direction pharmacist salaries are heading with the saturation in California. We have 4 pharmacy schools that are set to graduate their first class in a state where the job market is already bad enough.

I would also look at computer science or engineering. Jobs in these professions are actually plentiful in California, whereas with pharmacy you will most definitely have to move to the middle of nowhere to even find a job. Aside from better job prospects, you also do not have to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.