What are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dijkstra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my situation right now is that I think I might want to go down the research path. I was gunning for just an MD until around the end of my senior year, when I realized, kind of late, that I wanted to do research in Computer Science/Medical Informatics. My undergrad degree is in CS and I have done some projects in the area I am interested in. However, my stats are low, even for MD admissions (3.3 sGPA/cGPA, 510 MCAT, URM).
By the fall, I would have about (600) hours of research at a hospital . I'm also starting a new job at a different hospital and I have the opportunity to do research there as well.
While I don't think MD is totally out of the question, MD/PhD is definitely a bigger stretch.
So I'm want to know if:
1) Is applying MD/PhD this cycle worth a shot?
2) Are there other options outside of MSTP to obtain a graduate degree while pursuing an MD and end up on the technical side of research?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I don't think MD/PhD would be reasonable for the 2019-2020 cycle. 600 hours is not much for MD/PhD applicants. Many people have taken gap years and have 2000+ hours of research by the time of application, plus presentations and publications. In addition, both of your GPAs and MCAT are also very low for MD/PhD. Being URM helps, but it doesn't guarantee an interview invite. Both your GPA and MCAT need to be improved before applying. I took the MCAT twice, so if you need any tips, let me know.
  2. Some schools like Duke and Vanderbilt have a research year requirement in their curriculum. Other schools may offer Master's in Clinical Research. WashU in St. Louis offers a Master's of science in Clinical Investigation. If those things don't appeal to you, you can always try to do research during residency to get more experience.
Good luck and Happy New Year!

You can have an awesome career in medical informatics without an MD. If you feel an MD-PhD is crucial to the future you want, it is going to be an uphill battle. Your GPA is not easily fixed, so lets focus on the things you can do in the next two or so years. As pursuinghappy said, 2000 hours of research is probably the minimum. More important though is productivity and ownership. Presenting at conferences and publishing your work is very important, especially if you want to make up for poor academic performance. Your MCAT needs to be greatly improved. Very few people get in with low GPA and a lower MCAT score. I would study until you can hit 518 or so on an AAMC practice test at the bare minimum. If you are a motivated applicant with a demonstrated body of research work, you have a shot with a 3.3. Otherwise consider a different path. Tons of MD schools have options to pursue masters degrees or research during your medical training.