What are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYRANGER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am three classes into a ms in general psychology. I want to counsel in the future. I wanted to change my degree program but my school says I will have to pay some out of pocket expense. I was thinking of a masters in counseling psychology, for possible licensure as an lpc. I do not have the funds for these extra fees in order to change. I do not think the ms in general psych. will help me attain my goal of an lpc. WHat should I do? Should I apply at a different school and quit this program? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, there is essentially no way that you can use a MS in general psychology and obtain and LPC. Pretty much any state board will require that you completed a practicum/internship and a good amount of clinical courses.

If getting the LPC or some sort of clinical license is your priority, then you will need to get into a clinically oriented program. Perhaps some of your courses in the general psych program can be transferred in, but there is no guarantee.

Plus, you need to make sure that whatever clinical program you get into will match up with the licensing requirements in the state you want to practice. If you go to school in one state and want to move to another, you need to see if your program will satisfy the state's educational requirements.

Unfortunately, there is essentially no way that you can use a MS in general psychology and obtain and LPC. Pretty much any state board will require that you completed a practicum/internship and a good amount of clinical courses.

If getting the LPC or some sort of clinical license is your priority, then you will need to get into a clinically oriented program. Perhaps some of your courses in the general psych program can be transferred in, but there is no guarantee.

Plus, you need to make sure that whatever clinical program you get into will match up with the licensing requirements in the state you want to practice. If you go to school in one state and want to move to another, you need to see if your program will satisfy the state's educational requirements.

Are there any decent paying jobs available for me. I have a bs degree in human services and management and am currently working on ms in general psychology. Are there any non-license counselor careers that exist, maybe a mental health tech?
Thanks

Are there any decent paying jobs available for me. I have a bs degree in human services and management and am currently working on ms in general psychology. Are there any non-license counselor careers that exist, maybe a mental health tech?
Thanks

Based on my experience, yes. Depending on the state, some mental health jobs to do not require licensure and only a bachelor's degree. Typically, it would mean being a case manager, psycho-social coordinator, or something along those lines. However, it depends on where you live and what the employer is required to have via state regulations. To me, it seems like the big urban areas are willing to hire nonlicensed individuals to do mental health related work, especially since there is a demand and/or they are not required to have licensed clinicians. But beware, the pay might be less than you expect!