What are my REAL chances/stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ForumHangout

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So lets say my cumulative GPA is 2.865 and my science GPA is 2.945. I've read around the forum, and I see that people did mess up in a year of college or so, getting C's D's and F and having to retake those pre-req courses. I am no exception, and this is what has happened to me too.

Even thought on my transcript my GPA is 2.865 and 2.945, and I retook courses with D and F grades, my GPAs are ACTUALLY like 2.400 (accum) and (2.500) (science) right? isn't this true? since PharmCAS is going to count all grades, and I heard they average grades.

So when PharmCAS send my application off, and the school I am applying to didn't specifically tell me to send my college transript directly to them, this mean that they're going to be looking at my transcrip with a GPA of 2.500 right? ... and not a 2.945 like on my transcript?

I am a worried about this. I retook courses, and I did well in them the second time to bring my GPA up to 2.945. This gave me confidence... but now I'm thinking 2.500... and my confident is down the toilet.

Most people on here who say they got 2.8-3.4 GPA and mentioned that they have retaken courses, they, in reality, really have 2.4-2.9 isn't that right?
 
Last edited:
So lets say my cumulative GPA is 2.865 and my science GPA is 2.945. I've read around the forum, and I see that people did mess up in a year of college or so, getting C's D's and F and having to retake those pre-req courses. I am no exception, and this is what has happened to me too.

Even thought on my transcript my GPA is 2.865 and 2.945, and I retook courses with D and F grades, my GPAs are ACTUALLY like 2.400 (accum) and (2.500) (science) right? isn't this true? since PharmCAS is going to count all grades, and I heard they average grades.

So when PharmCAS send my application off, and the school I am applying to didn't specifically tell me to send my college transript directly to them, this mean that they're going to be looking at my transcrip with a GPA of 2.500 right? ... and not a 2.945 like on my transcript?

I am a worried about this. I retook courses, and I did well in them the second time to bring my GPA up to 2.945. This gave me confidence... but now I'm thinking 2.500... and my confident is down the toilet.

Most people on here who say they got 2.8-3.4 GPA and mentioned that they have retaken courses, they, in reality, really have 2.4-2.9 isn't that right?

Yes PharmCAS counts every class u count. So 4 unit f and 4 unit a balances to 2.0.

Do good on Ur pcat and you'll get interviews

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile
 
So lets say my cumulative GPA is 2.865 and my science GPA is 2.945. I've read around the forum, and I see that people did mess up in a year of college or so, getting C's D's and F and having to retake those pre-req courses. I am no exception, and this is what has happened to me too.

Even thought on my transcript my GPA is 2.865 and 2.945, and I retook courses with D and F grades, my GPAs are ACTUALLY like 2.400 (accum) and (2.500) (science) right? isn't this true? since PharmCAS is going to count all grades, and I heard they average grades.

So when PharmCAS send my application off, and the school I am applying to didn't specifically tell me to send my college transript directly to them, this mean that they're going to be looking at my transcrip with a GPA of 2.500 right? ... and not a 2.945 like on my transcript?

I am a worried about this. I retook courses, and I did well in them the second time to bring my GPA up to 2.945. This gave me confidence... but now I'm thinking 2.500... and my confident is down the toilet.

Most people on here who say they got 2.8-3.4 GPA and mentioned that they have retaken courses, they, in reality, really have 2.4-2.9 isn't that right?

PharmCAS doesn't drop any grades. Your GPA includes all the classes you have taken and nothing is replaced. And I wouldn't say they average their grades. I take averaging grades to mean that 4 units of F and 4 units of A would be 4 units with GPA of 2.0. In actuality, it's 8 units with GPA of 2.0. There's no average, they just take all of your grades as is and they do whatever they want with it whether it be looking at the best grade or looking at all attempts. They'll see your 2.5 GPA, but they may also look at grade trends.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the fact is most schools will toss your application out the window the minute they see your gpa. There's usually a cutoff for getting an interview and gpa is generally the cutoff. The safest thing to do at this point is do really amazing on the pcat and have excellent letters of rec.
 
Last edited:
the fact is most schools will toss your application out the window the minute they see your gpa. There's usually a cutoff for getting an interview and gpa is generally the cutoff. The safest thing to do at this point is do really amazing on the pcat and have excellent letters of rec.

2.4 won't cut it 99% of the time. Do well on PCAT, recs, work exp, contact the school and talk to the advisors so they know who you are and don't discard your app, and have AN AMAZING explanation for that 2.4
 
2.4 won't cut it 99% of the time. Do well on PCAT, recs, work exp, contact the school and talk to the advisors so they know who you are and don't discard your app, and have AN AMAZING explanation for that 2.4

Seriously, better be something special otherwise not much of a chance. Pharmacy school is extremely rigorous (assuming you want to be a good pharmacist), and that kind of GPA might give the impression that you can't handle the requirements. Gotta have standards or else people will not take the PharmD degree seriously! It's an unfortunate truth.
 
So lets say my cumulative GPA is 2.865 and my science GPA is 2.945. I've read around the forum, and I see that people did mess up in a year of college or so, getting C's D's and F and having to retake those pre-req courses. I am no exception, and this is what has happened to me too.

Even thought on my transcript my GPA is 2.865 and 2.945, and I retook courses with D and F grades, my GPAs are ACTUALLY like 2.400 (accum) and (2.500) (science) right? isn't this true? since PharmCAS is going to count all grades, and I heard they average grades.

So when PharmCAS send my application off, and the school I am applying to didn't specifically tell me to send my college transript directly to them, this mean that they're going to be looking at my transcrip with a GPA of 2.500 right? ... and not a 2.945 like on my transcript?

I am a worried about this. I retook courses, and I did well in them the second time to bring my GPA up to 2.945. This gave me confidence... but now I'm thinking 2.500... and my confident is down the toilet.

Most people on here who say they got 2.8-3.4 GPA and mentioned that they have retaken courses, they, in reality, really have 2.4-2.9 isn't that right?
How did you do on your science courses? Do you also have somewhat of an upwards trend within the last couple of semesters? All that factors into your application.
 
After looking at my transcript again, there is an upward trend in my grades. My sciences GPA on my transcript is pretty much a 3.0 soo... I guess 3/4? heheehe
 
After looking at my transcript again, there is an upward trend in my grades. My sciences GPA on my transcript is pretty much a 3.0 soo... I guess 3/4? heheehe

I was in the same boat as you.

I spent 4-5 years at a community college with a GPA of 2.6~ with F's and a bunch of W's and C's.

The only reason why I was able to get into any school after that was because I obtained straight A's after getting into a state university, getting good letters of rec' from the lab and pharmacy, in which I started as a volunteer at both (and they both hired me), I also went from 0 EC, to being VP of a club, etc.

In other words, YES! It's very doable, but you need to bus some a$s. Aim for those A's, understand the material and most of all, get involved!

It also helps to be a science major, rather than coming from business or psych, and your personal statement should be SPOT on. explain your weakness in later paragraphs and explain how you went about improving yourself. Sell yourself!