What are my real chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSouthernGeorgiaDoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from collge in 1999 with a degree in Biology and minor in Chemistry. I completed a full year of undergraduate research in Microbiology and published 2 papers. Since getting out of school I've worked in public health at the local health department in my area 20 hrs a week and since spring of 2000 I've been working in the ER at the regional hospital here 7p-7a full time. My gpa is 3.0, however I completed 170 semester hours and took advanced courses like Cell Biology, Histolgy, Virology, Molecular Genetics and so on. The reason why mt gpa is so low is that I kind of had a falling out with medicine after my second year in is school. I was involved in a mva and sublexed my c4/c5 and had to have spinal fusion. Well suffice to say my medical care was not as good as it should have been and my desire to be a doctor kind of died for a few years. Any how, my MCAT is 19, but I've been studying for the past year and I'm currently taking the Kaplan course that does help some (another story), and I believe I'll get atleast 29-30 on the MCAT, if not better. I've already applied through AMCAS AND AACOM to alot schools. Our ER chief is DO and has already written me great letters of rec for Do school. My question is what are my real chances of getting in to a MD or DO Program for the the next year.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Get ready for an interview :D
www.interviewfeedback.com

Personally, I think you'll at least have a chance with an interview. Do well during your interview and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere.... It's not impossible to get accepted with those numbers and with those experience.

I say go for it, turn in your secondaries as soon as possible (I can't emphasize that enough.... ASAP).... and then await your responses.... good luck and best wishes....

With your stated gpa, you will need a good mcat score. But since you are taking the August test you don't have the luxury of waiting to see what the score is before sending in your apps. The above poster is right. You should have your apps in and complete (including letters, transcripts, etc) at each school to which you want to apply - so that when the scores come in your app is complete and ready for review. Get any secondaries turned around fast! You will have a better feel for your possibilities when the scores come in, so in the meantime there is no sense in wasting energy worrying about it. Just study hard and do your best on the test. Good Luck!