what are people doing during their year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am only a junior right now, but I have decided not to apply this year and to apply at the end of my senior year. I was wondering what people who are doing the samething are planning to do during the year between graduation and medschool?

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about getting a masters during this time. Can anyone who did this comment on how they felt about their masters programm. Was it worth the time, did it help u out when applying to med schools, was it ever brought up during an interveiw?

i'll be graduating this may and taking a year off...during that year i'm going to 1) get EMT-B certified and work on an ambulance, 2) volunteer in the ED at our hospital, and 3) read a lot of books and enjoy the time not in school

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by NRAI2001
I was thinking about getting a masters during this time. Can anyone who did this comment on how they felt about their masters programm. Was it worth the time, did it help u out when applying to med schools, was it ever brought up during an interveiw?

The med schools MAY want you to be done with your masters before your time of enrollment, and this might not be possible to complete in one year.

I graduated this year, and am applying to med school. I had connections with a doctor, and he offered the opportunity of working with him on some research projects at the hospital. I'm quite happy doing this so far. I'm sure it's much easier than going to class again, and it's still a nice thing to talk about in an interview.

There are many different options one can pursure after graduating from college and before med school. I decided to go the "atypical" route. I have always been interested in law, medicine, and health policy so I decided to take this year to work in a law firm on a medical product liability case. Yes I am working in a LAW firm and am going to medical school in the fall. Go figure!This is however, one of the best decisions I have made because I am learning so much about medicine outside of the typical hospital/research contexts. Plus, several interviewers were very interested as to my reasons for working in law and this contributed to very interesting conversation.

Take the year off to do what truly makes you happy. Pursue any interest because you never know what doors will open up to you! :)

I'm in a 2-year masters program. I think it definitely is helping for me because my numbers aren't that great. It's an MPH so different but related, and I think it's a good thing to have as a doctor. I haven't really been asked about it yet other than what my thesis topic will be, but I've only been on one interview so far.

Originally posted by lilstina
I'm in a 2-year masters program. I think it definitely is helping for me because my numbers aren't that great. It's an MPH so different but related, and I think it's a good thing to have as a doctor. I haven't really been asked about it yet other than what my thesis topic will be, but I've only been on one interview so far.

where are you getting your mph? i am currently applying to programs and would love more info.

Originally posted by sgilani
where are you getting your mph? i am currently applying to programs and would love more info.

I'm getting mine at UT Houston Health Science Center. I made the decision to get one pretty late and had passed most deadlines so I pretty much applied to the ones left... these being Hopkins, Yale, UT Houston, and another in TX... but ultimately since I'm a TX resident, I ended up coming back here... can't beat that instate tuition. But it wasn't hard to get in... I was accepted at all the programs I applied to. There's not that much info about going to public health school... or maybe I just did it really late, I pretty much went on the ASPH website (I think that's it) and looked at the schools that were linked.

Hope that helps... feel free to PM me!

u can definitely finish a mastre's in a year by enrolling in your school's combined BS/MS program.

I gave up my offers for getting a MS in Organic Chemistry: Medicinal Synthesis...

Got a job at UNC in pharmaceutical synthesis - taking over a postdocs work. I hope to crank out a few more papers and get a good "in" to UNC Med.

Looking to find a free clinic to volunteer at... after 4 years of the richies at Duke... I need to be reminded of how REAL people live.

I'm working as a lab tech. I've done interesting research and am having my first paper published this winter...also took the time to really study for the MCAT and do well, plan a wedding, and RELAX!!!

~H

I am getting a MHS in Reproductive Biology at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. It is a one year program. I absolutely love it! It is really flexible so that you can either take traditional science classes or take public health classes with MPH students. Plus, the science classes usually have a "public health" spin, which makes them so much more interesting!

Working full-time at a lab at Duke, and part-time at a restaurant in Chapel Hill. SO SO glad I took this year off... "I'm getting my kicks while I'm still young enough to get 'em!" (name that movie)

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my Master's in two years in neurobiology. And I have a year off. I got accepted for LSU 2008 class. My gpa's (undergrad-non science and grad) were high but I only had a 23 MCAT and was told by my state school dean that a high GPA in a hard core science Master's program could help make up for a low MCAT. Of course I had great LOR's, numerous volunteer hours in various places and I interview very well. Good luck. by the way, for our master's we took a few lectures with first years which is nice because you learn if you can handle it somewhat.

Originally posted by brats800
i'll be graduating this may and taking a year off...during that year i'm going to 1) get EMT-B certified and work on an ambulance, 2) volunteer in the ED at our hospital, and 3) read a lot of books and enjoy the time not in school

Hey brats800,

I know you haven't done it yet, but I was wondering if you plan on telling the ambulance company that you will be working for <1 year. I'm getting my EMT-B certification right now and am trying to decide what to do about a job after December since I'll hopefully be starting medical school next fall. I doubt anyone would hire me if they know I'll quit 6-8 months later. Also, I'm hoping to have interviews early next year (still waiting for invites), and the job I want to apply for won't allow time off for 2 months. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm working in home health care as a caregiver and it's been a great experience for me. It doesn't pay much, but I've had incredibly valuable patient interactions.

Also, my bosses know that I won't be there long and don't mind since it is tough for them to find good people.

im working as a private tutor full time. i still volunteer and stuff but the majority of my time goes to tutoring and earning money for bills etc...

need to clear my debts (credit and such) so i can go into med school with a clean slate so i can start the debt process all over again ;)

hey jlee, i'll be looking for a new line of business soon for this year and i have been thinking about private tutoring myself. i've done it before in the past, but never for more than 3-5 hours a week ... you're a smart cookie, it's an easy and enjoyable way to make (tax-free) ca$h on your own schedule. how many hours a week do you tutor?

how did you go about setting up your student base? i am thinking of going back to my high schools and others closer to where i live and speaking with someone in the guidance dept ... do you have any other suggestions?

merci beaucoup

la doctrice

DoctorWannaBe

I might not be qualified enough to answer your question but I used to know a couple EMTs who work in the ER and they told me that it was relatively easy to find work in a hospital as working in the ER, helping around than to be working in an ambulance, cuz that's more work intensive.

So I guess don't limit your job search to just ambulance companies because there are plenty of ERs that would love to have a couple EMTs around.

In my year off I am 1.) conducting research and getting my name on a few publications 2.) volunteering at a clinic 3.) tutoring for paid work and 4.) partying like crazy before I have to enter med school!

I am doing research and making money. Traveling. And watching tons of TV and movies. Chillin with loved ones and friends.

Basically living the good life for a whole year. :) It's gonna be tough to give this up next August!! ;)

I'm a junior too, but what I (unwisely) have my heart set on is getting an internship at the CDC during my year off. probably I should not count on this. but well, that's what I hope I'm going to be doing during my year off. That and ... relishing not being in school ... regardless.

Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
Hey brats800,

I know you haven't done it yet, but I was wondering if you plan on telling the ambulance company that you will be working for <1 year. I'm getting my EMT-B certification right now and am trying to decide what to do about a job after December since I'll hopefully be starting medical school next fall. I doubt anyone would hire me if they know I'll quit 6-8 months later. Also, I'm hoping to have interviews early next year (still waiting for invites), and the job I want to apply for won't allow time off for 2 months. Does anyone have any advice?

Don't sweat it. If the people you work for (volunteer or paid) can't be proud to send off one of their own to become a physician, maybe they're not very nice.

I'm currently 27, a facility director at a doctors' office/physical therapy center, and on my "off-year" after my post-bac studies. It's been so much fun enjoying my time, but I would recommend that individuals who don't have the well-rounded application should look to satisfy some requirements. Volunteer or get a job that should teach you new stuff. I have learned lots about practice management, insurance companies, accounting, personnel, it's been quite a learning experience.

If you have the year off, work. Nobody wants to admit someone who doesn't stay focused and motivated.

I'm a lab technician, doing a lot of destressing, cooking, continuing my volunteer-work in the ER. I'm planning a 2-week vacation to Japan just before med school. Oh, and I'm bored a lot of the time.

well. . . i started med school once :) and now i've decided to take my 3/4 year off, and looking for a good lab to hopefully get some good research done, here at UNC. hopefully i will *really* be ready to start med school next august! at 22, maybe i'll have experienced enough non-school life to be happy as a student, than i had at 21.

i'm teaching a few bio labs this year at a university near home; i got my masters last year and learned more in a year than i did in all four years of undergrad
i got a lot out of it
i'd reccommend teaching; the pay is not bad and the work is alright

masterba....ummm travelling, er yeah um that's it.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by sgilani

If you are in NYC and want to stay in the area, you can apply to Columbia (Mailman School of Public Health). The other great options are Yale, Harvard and Hopkins.

I shall be working full-time and studying clinical anatomy, physiology and molecular biology. Once summer arrives I will hopefully be taking an anatomy course throughout the summer months so that I can take family practice and radiology electives while everyone else takes anatomy. Once school starts I will begin studying for the standardized exam. I may take a couple days off this summer to get married, but we'll see.

Herp

After I graduate this semester, I'll be at the CDC doing research. :)

I really want to travel across Europe this summer for a month or so before I commit myself to adulthood. Anyone interested in planning a trip with me? Seriously!

I'm doing clinical research (just published an abstract) and also doing volunteer work in my community. I'm catching up on leisure reading and just chilling out, having a great time. I'm trying to make the most of this year off! Also, I'm traveling to Mexico next month, just for fun.

donuthole

My family is financially well off, so I'm spending the year with only a very small part time job, just to show the adcoms that I'm actually doing something.

In reality I'm trying to do absolutely nothing medically related. I go out, watch movies, work out, study politics/economics (my side interest), read some popular scientific journals/mags, and just relax while the application process takes its direction.

I think volunteering is essentially a waste of time, the medical community will get enough cheap labor out of you in med school and residency. EMT stuff seems like just too neurotic for me; if you're poised to be a future physician, why start jumping through unnecessary hoops for experience that isn't necessary, it just increases the chances of burn-out and accelerates cynicism, but thats me.

Originally posted by beastmaster
My family is financially well off, so I'm spending the year with only a very small part time job, just to show the adcoms that I'm actually doing something.

In reality I'm trying to do absolutely nothing medically related. I go out, watch movies, work out, study politics/economics (my side interest), read some popular scientific journals/mags, and just relax while the application process takes its direction.

I think volunteering is essentially a waste of time, the medical community will get enough cheap labor out of you in med school and residency. EMT stuff seems like just too neurotic for me; if you're poised to be a future physician, why start jumping through unnecessary hoops for experience that isn't necessary, it just increases the chances of burn-out and accelerates cynicism, but thats me.

'I think volunteering is essentially a waste of time, the medical community will get enough cheap labor out of you in med school and residency.'-- I THINK THAT VOLUNTEERING AND COMMUNITY SERVICE ARE WORTHY ENDEAVORS, BUT I THINK THAT YOU MAKE A GOOD POINT OF THE CHEAP LABOR.

Originally posted by NYCheartlMD
'I think volunteering is essentially a waste of time, the medical community will get enough cheap labor out of you in med school and residency.'-- I THINK THAT VOLUNTEERING AND COMMUNITY SERVICE ARE WORTHY ENDEAVORS, BUT I THINK THAT YOU MAKE A GOOD POINT OF THE CHEAP LABOR.

Amen! I served as a Patient Care Volunteer but it was more like Secretary Volunteer.

Originally posted by beastmaster

Dude, TRAVEL! What's the matter with you? PM me, let's do Europe!

I'm gonna be working...I work in a recruiting firm for the biotech and pharmaceutical industries, which is great experience as far as understanding how the "big picture" works in the real world of medicine. I'm probably gonna try to go to Italy with my girlfriend - never been to Europe - and I'm going to try like mad to finish a music project I've been working on. Nothing too academic...there's going to be plenty of time for that in the near future.

As far as master's degrees...I got an MBA in health administration between undergrad and med school. I think it helped a lot (big picture again), and I also think admissions committees liked it.

When are the due dates for application for graduate school, specifically in Texas, if anyone knows? i was thinking of just taking graduate classes during my year off but I haven't even taken the GRE yet. I'm pretty nervous that I am just going to graduate and I'll be just sitting there, moving in with mom and dad with nothing to do. Someone PM me. I'm pretty blind about graduate programs!:)

I don't know about Texas specifically, but I think it varies by program and school. Try looking at the admissions web pages for the school and program you're interested in...the deadlines are usually posted there.

What someone else said: "I think volunteering is essentially a waste of time, the medical community will get enough cheap labor out of you in med school and residency. EMT stuff seems like just too neurotic for me; if you're poised to be a future physician, why start jumping through unnecessary hoops for experience that isn't necessary, it just increases the chances of burn-out and accelerates cynicism, but thats me."

I don't think volunteering is a waste of time if you love your volunteer work and you feel like you want to really make a difference in your community. Aside from my research job, I'm launching a project in my community, and it is considered volunteer work b/c I am not paid. So I love my volunteer work and it is not a waste of time for me.

Spent 6 months in a ghetto neighborhood in Russia...definitely hell but definitely worth it.