What are prelim programs and what are their success rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashar008

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are exactly preliminary programs and what are their success rates? If I am going into the next application with a 252 step one and 253 step 2 ck is this a viable choice? Am I wasting my score by going into these programs? I would like to eventually go into IM at a decent school and have a very good opportunity to match into a cards fellowship. Am I going the right path by going through a prelim position on should I just apply straight to an IM program. Also if I wanted to rad instead would it be a good choice? Thank you. Im just so confused on what exactly preliminary program is. Any info Ive found online hasnt given me a straight answer on what it is and its success rate.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do IM then you should only apply to categorical IM programs. Preliminary years are for applicants who are pursuing PGY-2 positions in radiology, derm, anesthesiology etc, in which case you have to apply to both programs in the same match.

According to this thread, OP is a US IMG from AUC doing 3rd year at Kern Medical center:
Hello I am about to being my 3rd year of medical school as an AUC student at Kern Medical center. I received a step score of 252. I am researching and looking up how to prepare and do well in my clinical years. I came upon transitional programs and preliminary programs. I researched up on what they are but haven't gotten a clear answer yet. What are these programs? Are they generally looked up to or down upon? From what I think I've learned is that these programs are kind of like the "post baccs" of residency programs. I don't mean to boast about my step score but rather posted it to gauge what my chances are at matching at these programs. I hope to get into a categorical position and I know coming as a US IMG I am at a disadvantage. So in summary I hope to get into these kinds of programs to get into a categorical position. Am I going the right way with my planning? Any advice? Thank you.

Reactions: 2 users