WHAT ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF AMAZING EXTRA-CURRICULARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCHOLAR101

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post ever.

So, I was wondering what are some awesome extracurriculars to apply to medical school with? I know all of you might say something like "do something that you enjoy", but I enjoy a lot of things. I just want to know what accepted medical students have done volunteer and extracurricular wise to get in. I've searched many times online and find things such as clinical experience (CNA, EMT, Shadowing...), starting an organization and other generic things for medical school. But, I want to know some unique activities that I can pursue that will increase my chance for admission. Thank you.
@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @HomeSkool and @everyone else

Members don't see this ad.

So, I was wondering what are some awesome extracurriculars to apply to medical school with? I know all of you might say something like "do something that you enjoy", but I enjoy a lot of things. I just want to know what accepted medical students have done volunteer and extracurricular wise to get in. I've searched many times online and find things such as clinical experience (CNA, EMT, Shadowing...), starting an organization and other generic things for medical school. But, I want to know some unique activities that I can pursue that will increase my chance for admission.
@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @HomeSkool and @everyone else
Military service.
Peace Corps.

Reactions: 1 users
It really does come down to things you enjoy.. i like to cook and started a cooking club at my school. fast forward 2 years and we got funded $20,000 to host cooking demos addressing food insecurity! Do things you love and pursue them to their fullest, find something you like and try to do community service with it

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just because someone did something amazing doesn’t mean it will be amazing for you. You might hate it and still put in the time and when asked about it your feelings might shine through.
...I want to know some unique activities that I can pursue that will increase my chance for admission.

Reactions: 3 users
Do what you enjoy, be passionate about it, and don't do things you hate to please medical schools.

Think about the top 3 things you spent doing over the last month and you can work from there on things to get involved with.

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever I do for ECs of course :)

For real tho, whatever you show passion and commitment for can be “amazing.” If you volunteer at a soup kitchen for 4 years and stack up 1000 hours that’s “amazing.” But if you truly want something amazing, then joining the Peace Corps for a few years, publishing in Nature a couple times, and being an Olympic athlete are examples. Do you want to do any of those? Most pre meds don’t. So, be yourself and dedicate time to your passions.

Don't do it to increase your chances at admission. Do it because you genuinely care about the population you are serving. Think about what groups you are drawn to. Domestic violence victims? Foster children? People suffering from addiction? Then find a way to get involved and make a real difference. Your role should push you beyond your comfort zone and require personal sacrifice (ie time, energy etc). Do this well, and for a long period of time. That is exceptional, in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Very biased, but I think AmeriCorps always looks awesome. Check out the website and find a program that aligns with an interest of yours.

In addition to things listed that I have seen and have considered amazing:
Be an Olympic athlete
Start a self-sustaining business/non-profit
Win an award from the UN
Military service with distinctions for outstanding service
Making SDN posts in all capital letters.

Something they all have in common are that they aren't activities these people did to get into medical school, rather these were passions other than medicine that required discipline and significant time commitment and typically helped other people.

One time I heard of someone raising >$10,000 for charity over the course of a few years running an annual balloon animal contest.