What are some important differences one should know about when negotiating financial aid vs. negotiating compensation packages between companies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1106140

What are some important differences one should know about when negotiating financial aid between MD schools vs. negotiating compensation packages between companies? People say that schools will only care about CoA of other schools used as leverage if they are within the same tier or higher when negotiating.

In the real world when job hunting, I would simply state I prefer not to disclose any identifying information about the other company which I am using as leverage if the other company isn't as prestigious or if the information could be used against me (i.e. cheaper cost of living, etc.). This has worked well for me so far. Can the same be done for negotiating financial aid between MD schools?

Members don't see this ad.

As an employee, you add value. As a medical student, you don’t (for all intents and purposes). Much easier to show a company “hey I’m worth X because I’ll make you Y” than it is to show a medical school how you would be much different than the 200 students on the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users