What are some non-DO friendly PM&R programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MehDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year medical student, and as the title suggests, I don't want to waste my money applying to residency programs that don't even take DO's.

It seems like University of Colorado hasn't had a DO in a few years. Any other place that's unfriendly to DO's?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CC , penn, and stanford

inb4 someone cites stanford having taken DO's in the past makes it "DO friendly"

Members don't see this ad :)
CC , penn, and stanford

inb4 someone cites stanford having taken DO's in the past makes it "DO friendly"

Someone from my DO school class of 2015 matched to Stanford. So I guess if you mean by "in the past" as in a few months ago, you're right. It may not be the most friendly DO program, but it still takes them.

CC and Stanford both have DO's. Not sure about CU PMR, but my buddy is doing Anesthesia there. He was the first DO in their program though i think.

I can speak for the new york presbyterian Columbia Cornell program,

It is DO friendly, I am a proud DO and currently there are 2 DO chief residents there. We also have 7 DOs currently in the program. We also have faculty members who are DOs.

Therefore I do not believe the CC reference above is Columbia Cornell, because that would be false information.

I also encourage the DOs not to worry about "Friendly" and rather let their work product, scores, and CVs stand out.

If you are unsure about a program that you are very interested in, try to reach out and/or visit to get the real information

Last edited:
I can speak for the new york presbyterian Columbia Cornell program,

It is DO friendly, I am a proud DO and currently there are 2 DO chief residents there. We also have 7 DOs currently in the program. We also have faculty members who are DOs.

Therefore I do not believe the CC reference above is Columbia Cornell, because that would be false information.

I also encourage the DOs not to worry about "Friendly" and rather let their work product, scores, and CVs stand out.

If you are unsure about a program that you are very interested in, try to reach out and/or visit to get the real information

That makes sense. I didn't interview at Columbia/Cornell but I have heard that they are very inviting. I applied to three NY/NJ programs...got invites to all three. Two of my Navy brethren matched (one MD, one DO) matched to NYC programs this cycle. NY/NJ in general seems to not discriminate. I have heard that Kessler gives preference to NJ applicants...but not even sure if that is true.

I knew someone from Rocky Vista (DO program in Colorado) who told me that he was forbidden to rotate at CU. I have heard about DO discrimination at Colorado from multiple people, so it could very well be true. But other than that program, I'm pretty sure that practically the entire field of PM&R is open to DOs if they have the right qualifications.

Attempted to rotate at CU and I believe they quoted me at 1k a week for the rotation for being a DO. Needless to say I took a pass on that one. Literally they are the only instance I have experienced. Also, a DO buddy of mine had beastly scores and grades and didn't even get an interview there. Can't say for sure but it feels pretty discriminatory.

How is this possible? Charging someone to do an audition rotation?

I think essentially the school is charging tuition for away students (as any school would), except all the MD schools have an agreement not to charge visiting MD students tuition. To my understanding an MD student never pays tuition (other than what they're already paying to their own school) when doing an away rotation, and their home school's malpractice insurance, worker's comp, etc., all continues to cover them (which of course the student is paying for since they're continuing to pay their home school's tuition. Which a visiting DO student to CU would do as well, so the DO student would be paying double tuition).

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any such agreement between MD and DO schools, so that $1000/week might be paying tuition, malpractice premiums, workers comp insurance, etc.

Regardless, it's ridiculous. There are plenty of MD schools that don't charge DO students any tuition, and doing so seems like a great way to miss out on meeting stellar DO students and serves as a way to actively say that the program doesn't encourage about 1/3 of the PM&R applicant pool to apply to their program.

I don't mean to drag on a program, and Colorado is a great program--one the best but usually not listed in the "top five" everyone throws around. It's unfortunate to hear they're biased against DO's.