-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What are some tricky, unexpected interview questions you've come across?
Started by mariposas905
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I literally read this 5 times and got dizzyHave you ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Have you ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Is this you?
So emoTell me about the last time you cried.
I'm still a bit salty about "describe a time when you acted unethically".
"So I lagswitched this scrub on CoD4..."
.
Last edited:
I have a whole bag of them. No, I'm not sharing. Many of them I stole outright from the Interview Feedback forum.
It seems I found better questions out of the DO schools...Many of the top MD schools simply ask the classics, like "Why us?" "Where do you see yourself in ten years?", and this one was very common at top schools: "Explain that C in Biochem."
It seems I found better questions out of the DO schools...Many of the top MD schools simply ask the classics, like "Why us?" "Where do you see yourself in ten years?", and this one was very common at top schools: "Explain that C in Biochem."
What are some of the most tricky, challenging interview questions you've had? I don't mean for just medical school interviews but for interviews in general.
I'm preparing for a fellowship phone interview, and feel like I don't know what to expect! How many questions can they really ask you in 30 min? How do they expect us to tell our motivations and life story in such a short time?!
"Imagine yourself in three instances: in the past as a pre-med, the present right now as a medical school student, and the future as a trained physician. Explain to me how you plan to be a good doctor (using your experiences/skills) in each of the instances."
^It was something like this, but it was sure the hardest one yet. I stumbled quite a bit.
^It was something like this, but it was sure the hardest one yet. I stumbled quite a bit.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My hardest questions were:
"Why would you choose our school over [my top choice school]?" -- It's almost as if they knew that school was my top choice and were trying to trip me up....
"What were you like as a little kid?" -- I was caught totally off guard and started rambling, pretty sure I sounded completely delusional as I talked about my imaginary friends and my insect collection
"Why would you choose our school over [my top choice school]?" -- It's almost as if they knew that school was my top choice and were trying to trip me up....
"What were you like as a little kid?" -- I was caught totally off guard and started rambling, pretty sure I sounded completely delusional as I talked about my imaginary friends and my insect collection
one interviewer asked me to give THREE strengths AND THREE weaknesses all in one go lol.. I was like god damn, was no prepared for beyond 2
This happened to me! They asked for 5 weaknesses, I got stuck at 4.
My trickiest was: "Why MD at [OOS school] and not DO [IS school] or [IS MD school]?". So a why not md/do combined with why OOS vs IS or a state school
Ew.
This happened to me! They asked for 5 weaknesses, I got stuck at 4.
Five? Jesus. Not sure I could pull out more than 2 or 3.
I once got asked if I would eat human flesh to survive in a plane crash scenario (from the already deceased...).
That was my favorite post to ever hit SDN.Have you ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Hey @Goro , here's a new interview question to add to your list. 😛I once got asked if I would eat human flesh to survive in a plane crash scenario (from the already deceased...).
What on earth did you say?I once got asked if I would eat human flesh to survive in a plane crash scenario (from the already deceased...).
That's dreadful
one interviewer asked me to give THREE strengths AND THREE weaknesses all in one go lol.. I was like god damn, was no prepared for beyond 2
What did you say?
What would you change about your mom?
No joke, 5+ years ago, at a DO school.
Alive: The Story of the Andes SurvivorsI once got asked if I would eat human flesh to survive in a plane crash scenario (from the already deceased...).
By Piers Paul Read
Two of the survivors were medical students. Great read, btw.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
7
750335
I really detested the "Why shouldn't we accept you" question, especially since I ended up rejected there.
and lol @ what goro said. Not gonna lie, my first thought when I saw adcoms on this forum was "they are just gonna take everything we share about our insecurities and use them against us during interviews" lol still love you though
and lol @ what goro said. Not gonna lie, my first thought when I saw adcoms on this forum was "they are just gonna take everything we share about our insecurities and use them against us during interviews" lol still love you though
you must've answered the question too wellI really detested the "Why shouldn't we accept you" question, especially since I ended up rejected there.
and lol @ what goro said. Not gonna lie, my first thought when I saw adcoms on this forum was "they are just gonna take everything we share about our insecurities and use them against us during interviews" lol still love you though
I had a "what was something that surprised you about the school when you arrived here?" question that I had no idea how to respond to. I rambled something along the lines of "the students seemed really collaborative and willing to work together. The interviewer responded with "Is this not how your undergrad was? Why were you surprised about this?". It was super awkward.
7
750335
still extremely bitter about it.you must've answered the question too well
"My biggest weakness is not having 5 weaknesses"This happened to me! They asked for 5 weaknesses, I got stuck at 4.
Interviewer: Describe a time in the last month when you showed empathy?
Interviewer: You've done a lot of research. Explain to me how you aren't using medicine as a future means to fund a lab/research?
Interviewer: Describe an ethical dilemna you have faced?
Me: Presented ethical dilemma I faced
Interviewer: Okay, that's great-- tell me about another ethical dilemma you have faced?
Interviewer: You've done a lot of research. Explain to me how you aren't using medicine as a future means to fund a lab/research?
Interviewer: Describe an ethical dilemna you have faced?
Me: Presented ethical dilemma I faced
Interviewer: Okay, that's great-- tell me about another ethical dilemma you have faced?
Interviewing at FIU:
"You don't seem like the doctor type to me. I don't think you have enough compassion. Prove to me that you're compassionate."


I was starting to forget how much I hated the interview process. Thanks for reminding me.
Holy crap... That's insaneInterviewing at FIU:
"You don't seem like the doctor type to me. I don't think you have enough compassion. Prove to me that you're compassionate."
Interviewing at FIU:
"You don't seem like the doctor type to me. I don't think you have enough compassion. Prove to me that you're compassionate."
You should have kicked him in the nuts and then gotten him some ice.
Interviewing at FIU:
"You don't seem like the doctor type to me. I don't think you have enough compassion. Prove to me that you're compassionate."
"I can see that conducting interviews makes you uncomfortable. Would you like to talk about it? I'm listening."
"You're still alive after that comment. That should be enough."Interviewing at FIU:
"You don't seem like the doctor type to me. I don't think you have enough compassion. Prove to me that you're compassionate."
I got asked by my interviewer this:
So you're on a boat and you have to throw someone off. Who do you throw off?
Me: Who's in the boat?
Them: That's for you to decide.
Interviewing at FIU:
"You don't seem like the doctor type to me. I don't think you have enough compassion. Prove to me that you're compassionate."
I have been sitting here for 20 minutes trying to figure out how I would respond to that, and I can't come up with anything.
I was starting to forget how much I hated the interview process. Thanks for reminding me.
Holy crap... That's insane
You should have kicked him in the nuts and then gotten him some ice.
"I can see that conducting interviews makes you uncomfortable. Would you like to talk about it? I'm listening."
"You're still alive after that comment. That should be enough."
I got asked by my interviewer this:
So you're on a boat and you have to throw someone off. Who do you throw off?
Me: Who's in the boat?
Them: That's for you to decide.
View attachment 216686
I have been sitting here for 20 minutes trying to figure out how I would respond to that, and I can't come up with anything.
I tried explaining my volunteer work as a pianist in a hospital and interacting with patients there. Then I talked about a service trip to Costa Rica. He seemed to like that answer. But what most puzzled me was at the end of my interview, he said "You're very bright and I know you're going to go far. I still don't think you should be a doctor. Of course, if admitted, we would love to have you here." I thought I was getting a straight rejection, but a month later I was accepted.
I would find him on the first day of school and give him the birdI tried explaining my volunteer work as a pianist in a hospital and interacting with patients there. Then I talked about a service trip to Costa Rica. He seemed to like that answer. But what most puzzled me was at the end of my interview, he said "You're very bright and I know you're going to go far. I still don't think you should be a doctor. Of course, if admitted, we would love to have you here." I thought I was getting a straight rejection, but a month later I was accepted.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I said, well if I were dead and some people needed to eat me to live I really wouldn't mind, in fact I would feel honored that in death I was able to help, so yeah I probably would.What on earth did you say?
Na it was for residency somewhere. I forgot the exact school. Us EM people are weird.was this at the Donner College of Medicine?
Of course it would have been really funny if this question was asked at the University of Colorado at Boulder where the campus resturant is named after the only American ever found guilty in court of cannibalism
Alferd Packer Restaurant & Grill
Ohhh... @Goro is Hannibal Lecter? Who knew? It explains a lot when he states his students would eat an interviewee alive. 😛like premeds, he prefers his fresh
I got this one, too. Ugh.That's dreadful
I said, well if I were dead and some people needed to eat me to live I really wouldn't mind, in fact I would feel honored that in death I was able to help, so yeah I probably would.
Lmao, that reminded me of this meme.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 847
