What are the best classes to take as prerequisite electives during undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup. My beau is an Italian dude who is more or less fluent in French, as was my German ex. Even living in Europe, I don't think French was all that helpful for them...
probably helpful in certain areas of canada

Members don't see this ad.

I thought about mentioning Canada, but I have no idea how much French is spoken there, so I didn't want to make assumptions.

Well if you're going to practice in the French speaking parts of Canada, then by all means... Or Africa or wherever. But the general utility of the language for most of us is pretty poor.

Just like speaking Japanese is helpful for me in Japan, and attracting asiaphiles... But that's about it. Can't say I've had a single japanese client in the past year and a half in my Podunk part of the state, or even during clinics. And I live in a state that has more of them than many others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had a Japanese client and my Japanese skills actually helped since she didn't speak much English.

My point is that there are areas outside of France where French is necessary to do business. There isn't a lot of Japanese outside of Japan

I have had a Japanese client and my Japanese skills actually helped since she didn't speak much English.

My point is that there are areas outside of France where French is necessary to do business. There isn't a lot of Japanese outside of Japan
I get that and don't disagree. My point was that those places are very limited, and IMHO not enough to warrant learning for the purpose of helping you in future endeavors as a veterinarian unless you were actually planning on being in those limited locations. This is in comparison to like Spanish, where even living in areas with minimal diversity, I've had many instances where I wished I spoke Spanish. Can't say I've ever felt the same about French.

I get that and don't disagree. My point was that those places are very limited, and IMHO not enough to warrant learning for the purpose of helping you in future endeavors as a veterinarian unless you were actually planning on being in those limited locations. This is in comparison to like Spanish, where even living in areas with minimal diversity, I've had many instances where I wished I spoke Spanish. Can't say I've ever felt the same about French.
I think learning certain dialects of Chinese would be pretty useful, too

Reactions: 1 users
I think learning certain dialects of Chinese would be pretty useful, too
Absolutely. Though harder to be fluent enough to be able to communicate in a veterinary setting for Chinese for most of us. I'd give props to anyone willing to take that on.

I have a Vietnamese friend who works in an area with a large Vietnamese population, and she serves a very much under served group of people, because the language and cultural barrier is huge. It's actually not uncommon for the few Asian clients in our area of other nationalities to prefer to see me as their provider because they feel I would be much more likely to relate to them and their pets despite my very 'white people' ways. I've had several of these clients who took all of my wellness recommendations that a were previously declined because they believed it when I explained why things were advised. I'm sure it wasn't said any differently by the doctors before. But I think due to cultural disconnect being present between both parties, the trust never really got built to allow for recommendations being followed.

Sometimes this even spills over into all sorts of minority populations. I've had an African American client tell me straight up that I was the first person to recommend things for their (very well taken care of) pet that they'd been wondering about and felt like other doctors had brushed off their concerns because he was perceived as someone who wouldn't go for specialized care due to his race. Whether it was true or not, that was his perception. Unfortunately in his particular case, I think it kinda was.

With vet med being the whitest profession in America (according to BLS), there really is a need for people who can appeal to minority populations of all sorts, either broadly or in particular niches. We always talk about how "need" doesn't necessarily translate to actual need for paid services, but I really think this is one area where we can actually increase our market. There are a lot of people who would take more advantage of vet services if they could feel a better connection with their vet, which is currently hindered by cultural or language barriers.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Though harder to be fluent enough to be able to communicate in a veterinary setting for Chinese for most of us. I'd give props to anyone willing to take that on.

I have a Vietnamese friend who works in an area with a large Vietnamese population, and she serves a very much under served group of people, because the language and cultural barrier is huge. It's actually not uncommon for the few Asian clients in our area of other nationalities to prefer to see me as their provider because they feel I would be much more likely to relate to them and their pets despite my very 'white people' ways. I've had several of these clients who took all of my wellness recommendations that a were previously declined because they believed it when I explained why things were advised. I'm sure it wasn't said any differently by the doctors before. But I think due to cultural disconnect being present between both parties, the trust never really got built to allow for recommendations being followed.

Sometimes this even spills over into all sorts of minority populations. I've had an African American client tell me straight up that I was the first person to recommend things for their (very well taken care of) pet that they'd been wondering about and felt like other doctors had brushed off their concerns because he was perceived as someone who wouldn't go for specialized care due to his race. Whether it was true or not, that was his perception. Unfortunately in his particular case, I think it kinda was.

With vet med being the whitest profession in America (according to BLS), there really is a need for people who can appeal to minority populations of all sorts, either broadly or in particular niches. We always talk about how "need" doesn't necessarily translate to actual need for paid services, but I really think this is one area where we can actually increase our market. There are a lot of people who would take more advantage of vet services if they could feel a better connection with their vet, which is currently hindered by cultural or language barriers.

My dream is to open my own practice one way or another and I would love to have a great bond with all my clients and their animals. The vet I use, at the spca, she makes me feel so unwelcome. My dog has epilepsy, and she was asking about how many weeks ago he had his last seizure, and I told her/thinking out loud, I left to go my sisters for a weekend, so I think it was about. And then she stopped me midsentence and was like I don't care about your experience, I want to know when the last seizure was. And it just made me feel so unwelcome, honestly thinking about switching vets. And then as soon as I finally got it out that it was about two weeks ago, she just abruptly left the room without saying anything. Just turned and walked out.

Statistics, Biochemistry, Physiology, Microbiology, and Anatomy courses