what are the classes in NYCOM 1st year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know that some schools cover diff things in diff order. i was wondering what the order of classes is for NYCOM 1st year? out of those, which ones are known to be killers? thanx for the info, Susan

Members don't see this ad.

1st year classes at nycom start off with anatomy, physio, biochem, and OMM. Around thanksgiving they throw histology in there. Anatomy and biochem end at christmas and physio continues to february. After the holidays I think they start you on micro, genetics, and family practice (intro to clinical med), then mid-spring you start general pathology, neuroscience, and the year's finished up with neuro path and neurology. OMM is taken throughout the year. Many classes consist of 3 exams, plus a practicals where appropriate, in first year, and most in second year consist of one exam and a practical. Each year is broken up into 6-7 testing blocks.

As for the tough ones, I can't point to any and say it was the most difficult, they each required a fair amount of work. Anatomy was probably the most time consuming, as it was about 12-15 hours of class time a week, let alone out-of-class study time, which should probably double that. Neuroscience was also pretty tough. Some people had a hard time with physio, but if you've had it before dont worry too much, same goes for biochem. Some classes in second year dwarf anything taken in first year in time required to do well, pharmacology especially.

First year ends in early june and second year begins in early august with pharmacology, public health, and some filler courses. You then proceed system by system through the body and are done in mid april, getting about 6 weeks off to study for the boards. You start clerkships in late june. Second year is very intense, as you take almost 30 classes in 8-9 months, broken up into 6 blocks.

enjoy. dont work too hard between now and school.