what are the competitive programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlexygoat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been digging around on past SDN threads, and scouring APGO's website, but I'm still having difficulty finding out which ob/gyn programs are "competitive". By competitive I mean relative to other OB/gyn programs.

I'm able to see that some programs have 350+ applicants and only grant 100 or so interview (maybe less), but there's not a lot of info out there on what caliber of applicants these programs are attracting. Are the residents all AOA, big into research, or come from top notch medical schools?

Which programs are typically the toughest to get into? I also wonder if programs are looking for something special, or something that makes you stand out to make the cut (ex-insane research). Thanks in advance for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Just thought I would take a stab at this. Every now and then people ask the same question you asked and they rarely get a response. I don't know that there is a list of "competitive programs". Just because a program has high board score requirements doesn't mean it is a good program or a good fit for you. I am sure programs like Brigham and Hopkins would require higher test scores/ clerkship grades/ research experience but does that mean they are a good fit for you and do you want to go to these programs based solely on if they are difficult to get into? Which programs are competive depends on your career goals. I would try talking to the residency director, chair of OB/Gyn, or some other mentor and letting them know what you have in mind for your future. If you are a competitive applicant, they may be able to steer you in the direction of a well known and respected program that will fit your specific needs. There are tons of programs, find one that really fits your personality/philosophy/career inetersts. Don't get lost in the "competitive programs". If you look on the general residency boards, there are alot of people that are wanting to change programs. You really want to find a good fit for you. Try listing the things you want in a program and maybe people will be able to give you more insight into what programs might be well suited for you. Good luck.

I definitely get where you're coming from. I never meant to imply that just because a program has "high" stats for GPA/Step/etc means it's a good program that churns out good doctors! I was asking more because I really am clueless about which programs are tougher to get into, so I can sort of plan accordingly by having some "safety" and "reach" schools in the mix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if that is the case, you should create a list based on your desired locations. If you are interested in academics or fellowship you should have mostly university based programs on your list. If you want private practice in OB/gyn then maybe you want some community programs. After you have generated a preliminary list you will want to show a mentor or perhaps the residency director of you program, basically anyone who is in the loop on what is going on with other programs. You should tell that individual your stats and they can tell you if you should add more programs or remove some. Ask if there are strong programs that they might recommend for you to add or less stable/ malignant programs that you should remove. That is what I did. If you are very competitive you can have less programs on your list. But, if you have several red flags, you may want to apply to 25 programs or more. But I think it would be hard for someone to just tell you a list of competitive or good programs without knowing a thing about you.

We need to change the way we think about programs. We need to get away from the idea that a program is good or not based on numbers of interviews or average GPA/board scores. There are a variety of programs out there, and each applicant has to find what fits them best. Don't start your search based on whether or not a program is competitive, start your search on what you want to do in life, on where you want to go as far as location. You are not going to find a program that has an "ideal" resident. They all want variety, not 10 people who all want onc fellowships. So regardless of if you think you are competitive or not, apply to places you think will get you where you want to be- you might surprise yourself on who interviews you!

We have to stop asking this question of who is the best. there is no best, there are places that do things well and places that don't. There are county and private hospitals, there are university and community programs. Don't disregard a place just because it falls under one of these headings - for some people, that type of program fits them best and they will have the same opportunity to be a great physician as anyone else.

so bottom line, broaden your prospective about programs and what is best. on this website you will find nothing but opinions, nothing but interpretations, you need to think about your own personal situation and make decisions based on you. sorry to be preachy but we have to change how we're evaluating programs.

I think when you are considering a residency program, yes, you want to be happy to a degree... but realize that residency can really set you up for the future. Ask yourself, do you want to struggle during residency? or do you want to struggle for many more years thereafter. Competitive programs will open many more doors for you than lesser, community type programs... that is, fellowship opportunities will be much more attainable from a competititve university program.

It is worth four years of a perhaps malignant, very strenuous residency as opposed to a "touchy feely environment" for that period of time.

I struggled with the same questions... and in the end, I am glad that I went to a program that I may not have been as happy on a day to day basis, but now I can see the dividends...

I think there are very well respected programs that don't have malignant environments. Ask around. I have actually heard great things about your home program, USF. Good luck!

I think when you are considering a residency program, yes, you want to be happy to a degree... but realize that residency can really set you up for the future. Ask yourself, do you want to struggle during residency? or do you want to struggle for many more years thereafter. Competitive programs will open many more doors for you than lesser, community type programs... that is, fellowship opportunities will be much more attainable from a competititve university program.

It is worth four years of a perhaps malignant, very strenuous residency as opposed to a "touchy feely environment" for that period of time.

I struggled with the same questions... and in the end, I am glad that I went to a program that I may not have been as happy on a day to day basis, but now I can see the dividends...

I agree with Forceps that we need to generally change our thinking in regards to programs. Please don't categorize community programs as "lesser" and assume that a "touchy feely environment" precludes real learning. I don't assume that a university program will open doors or provide superior learning. As is obvious from previous posts I am a member of a community program that I am very proud of. I do believe I am receiving an excellent education. I also realize that you get out of a residency what you put into it.

My "lesser, touchy feely" community program just sent 3 of our 4 chiefs to competitive fellowships. Stereotype busted.

I chose a community program over a few well respected university programs and have never regreted it. Please don't exclude any program from exploration that you think may be a good fit, be it university or community. You may be suprised.

:) goodsamob