What are the Medical Schools that accept an old IMG ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htkl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from the medical school like 15 years ago and I was working in internal medicine,I took the steps(USMLEs) years ago and I passed step 2 and failed step 1 ( was very close)..I live in the US now, if I retake the steps again will I be able to get residency ? I heard that there are DO schools that accept IMG in the med school again? what are they besides NYCOM ?

Members don't see this ad.

If you pass your USMLE steps as an IMG you should be looking for a job as a resident, not a med school position. no med school will take you as a student if you pass your steps.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you pass your USMLE steps as an IMG you should be looking for a job as a resident, not a med school position. no med school will take you as a student if you pass your steps.

This is completely incorrect. Residency programs tend to not accept applicants who graduated many years ago, and USMLE scores more than 7 years old may not be valid for gaining licensure in many states even if the IMG could find a residency.

This is the reason the NYIT-COM EPP program exists - for foreign graduates who aren't able to gain entry into an American residency program. By retraining as a osteopathic student they become eligible for the AOA match as well as able to apply to the NRMP match as an "American" applicant, which greatly increases their chance of getting a desirable residency.

To the OP, as far as I know only NYIT-COM (formerly NYCOM) offers this program.

This is completely incorrect. Residency programs tend to not accept applicants who graduated many years ago, and USMLE scores more than 7 years old may not be valid for gaining licensure in many states even if the IMG could find a residency.

This is the reason the NYIT-COM EPP program exists - for foreign graduates who aren't able to gain entry into an American residency program. By retraining as a osteopathic student they become eligible for the AOA match as well as able to apply to the NRMP match as an "American" applicant, which greatly increases their chance of getting a desirable residency.

To the OP, as far as I know only NYIT-COM (formerly NYCOM) offers this program.

Haha NYCOM, regrettably now NYIT-COM

At my school (UMDNJ-SOM), there was at least one FMG in our class that was doing this. She had attended a non-ECFMG medical school abroad and thus could not enter the match with her original degree.

Thank you, I read about that a while ago, I am not Hispanic and I don't speak spinach

I know a lot of IMGs who are ECFMG certified but their scores aren't that good,they have been trying for years to get into any residency program with no success ,one of them decided to go to nursing school , I am thinking about re-taking the steps but you know the process takes time ,I wanna make sure if I pass I will be able get residency ,otherwise I'll try to go school to be a PA ..I have a lot of experience in Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine, and Dermatology

Thank you, I have heard about that ,but I am neither Hispanic nor speak Spanish

I have no idea what that means...

Pretty much all the Emigre program participants are eastern european (Russian, Polish, Lithuanian, etc...) and Indian. SO I have no idea what hispanic or spanish have to do with it.

The program works like this: You submit your transcripts and diploma from the school in your country. You submit certification that you are a native english speaker or you take the TOEFL exam to prove you know english, and you take an entrance exam. If you are accepted you will earn your degree and get a residency.

I have no idea what that means...

Pretty much all the Emigre program participants are eastern european (Russian, Polish, Lithuanian, etc...) and Indian. SO I have no idea what hispanic or spanish have to do with it.

The program works like this: You submit your transcripts and diploma from the school in your country. You submit certification that you are a native english speaker or you take the TOEFL exam to prove you know english, and you take an entrance exam. If you are accepted you will earn your degree and get a residency.

I am sorry I thought you were referring to UCLA program
http://fm.mednet.ucla.edu/IMG/about/about.asp

my bad, whats EPP tuition ?

Haha NYCOM, regrettably now NYIT-COM
Hmm, New York Institute of Technology sounds like Devry Institute of Technology, which owns Ross. Maybe they're expanding into Osteopathic Colleges now?
:D

Hmm, New York Institute of Technology sounds like Devry Institute of Technology, which owns Ross. Maybe they're expanding into Osteopathic Colleges now?
:D

HAHA true. Hence the resistance and hate of the name among the NYCOM community. It boils down to a pompous president of NYIT who has to have his name on everything. NYIT bought NYCOM years ago but now changed the name because he stated "I was at a conference and nobody knew I was president of NYCOM because of the separate name"