What are the negative side of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunFlower2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the negative side of pharmacy? Since I haven't been acturally work in a pharmacy store before? it's hard for me answer this question. Also what pharmacy give back to you, I think this may be well answerd by the experienced pharmacist.
Thank you guys.:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

What are the negative side of pharmacy? Since I haven't been acturally work in a pharmacy store before? it's hard for me answer this question. Also what pharmacy give back to you, I think this may be well answerd by the experienced pharmacist.
Thank you guys.:luck:

Oh gosh...where do I start?????

Negatives? The work hours, the holiday & call back hours, the constant feeling of "need", the frustration of not being able to do what you feel is "right"...whether it is providing the prescribed drug, a preferred drug, a "better" drug, whatever.....

The supervisorial frustrations (forgive me Zpak...),the poor ancillary help, the unsupportive dm....

I could go on and on and on about the negatives...but....I've done it for 30 years..so I guess the good has outweighed the bad.

What are the negatives you ask?

Well, you actually have to do some work.. for that $100,000 per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the negatives you ask?

Well, you actually have to do some work.. for that $100,000 per year.

You mean even the good jobs require work? Wow.

The people suck, your bosses suck, the drugs suck (Ask Zpak), the internet sucks, you retire, you die, people stop visiting your grave in 70 years, and nobody ever knew you existed.

Life as a pharmacist in a nutshell.

The people suck, your bosses suck, the drugs suck (Ask Zpak), the internet sucks, you retire, you die, people stop visiting your grave in 70 years, and nobody ever knew you existed.

WVU.....did your team lose???? Is your wife out of town????

You need to get yourself back together.....life is really good! Your job is just that - a job! Your boss can be good or bad - who cares....he/she is just a person who has to juggle lots of balls all at the same time.

But....what else gives you happiness???? It can't all be pharmacy. That can only be one part. I think you & Mrs WVU need to have a heart to heart about where you are going & how you want pharmacy to help you get there.

You really are too young to be so bitter....just my opinion, of course...

lol.. yeah I'm all for the occasionaly sarcastic or cynical comment but that post was kind of depressing :wow: :p

Don't be TOO optimistic.

Members don't see this ad :)

boy..if WVU loses again, you'll jump off a building..

WVU.....did your team lose???? Is your wife out of town????

You need to get yourself back together.....life is really good! Your job is just that - a job! Your boss can be good or bad - who cares....he/she is just a person who has to juggle lots of balls all at the same time.

But....what else gives you happiness???? It can't all be pharmacy. That can only be one part. I think you & Mrs WVU need to have a heart to heart about where you are going & how you want pharmacy to help you get there.

You really are too young to be so bitter....just my opinion, of course...

He camped out to pull his ticket..traveled miles to Kentuckey...yelled his lungs out for his team.
And his team lost. He has no will to live.

He camped out to pull his ticket..traveled miles to Kentuckey...yelled his lungs out for his team.
And his team lost. He has no will to live.

I'm amazed you keep track of my life so well. It borders "stalker".

No, not at all. I know this because you're predictable.
It's predictable..because it's the same crap I used to do when I was in school.

hey, Guys, can we focus on the topic please?:confused:
if you guys comoplaing about life, then what do you think being a pharmacist really give back to you?

if you own an independent pharmacy, the reimbursement rates are a growing concern... esp w/ Part D carriers. you have to watch out for those PBMs that are trying to take out the independents.

in general, my biggest gripe has to be about doctors/nurses and their lack of knowledge of their own patients, and the lack of urgency in meeting their requests. once in a blue moon we'll come across a doctor who really knows his/her patients and seems to really care. the rest are totally clueless.

everything else is like any other job... you have good clients with your bad, good coworkers w/ the annoying ones, and your hours/benefits depends on where you choose to work.

if you guys comoplaing about life, then what do you think being a pharmacist really give back to you?

No. I do not focus and I always complain about life.

what does that have to do with football??? Which by the way is a soar subject right now... I knew it could happen , The cards jumping over UF - but It still hurt to watch it happen. Man - UF just barely got out of Vandy alive. If there was 5 more minutes in that game, it would have been a really sad story. My only hope is that the Big East goes to **** in the next week with everybody earning one loss... And UF slamming Auburn (maybe Ark) in Atlanta!!! May the BCS Gods give favor to UF!!!

~above~

sunflower...be careful!!!! For those of us who are experienced, we have a life outside of pharmacy which gives us perspective to pharmcy.

I'm thinking you want an essay or interview answer.....you need to find that within yourself. Not in Zpak, WVU (who wants to jump off a building for whatever football reason - or not - I can't figure it out!!) or any of the other posters here...

Now...tell US - what do YOU think you could give back to pharmacy (meaning US????)?????

What can YOU contribute??? No adcoms want to know what we think - we've already been there & done that......what do YOU think???

Oh...let me give you a tip - your answer should have nothing to do with football (no matter what Zpak or WVU says!!):D

One of the biggest negatives is if you have to work on Saturdays, you can miss a lot of college football. That's a bummer.:thumbdown:

And if you work on Sundays.. you'll miss a lot of NFL football.

And if you happen to work on Monday night.. you'll miss the Monday Night Football.

If you work on 2nd Sunday of April, you'll miss the final round of the Masters.

If you work on Father's day Sunday..you'll miss the final round of the US Open.

If you work Fourth of July...you'll miss out on some Fourth of July BBQ..

Man.. all these negatives..why choose Pharmacy.. :thumbdown:

And everyday spent at work..is one day wasted in your precious life.

One of the biggest negatives is if you have to work on Saturdays, you can miss a lot of college football. That's a bummer.:thumbdown:

And if you happen to work on Monday night.. you'll miss the Monday Night Football.

Aaaahhh - ok...from a woman's perspective (oh - most of your staff, Zpak!):

!. Super Bowl - one of the slowest days of the year - most of the phsycians won't come in until after its over.

2. Christmas Eve & Day - two of the most busy days of the year - surgeons have a terrible family life & idiots drink too much & get in accidents.

3. Father's Day - don't work - you score points if you get this day off!!! Breakfast is always a hit!

4. Try to get the Mon or Tue before Thanksgiving off - it is easier to shop those days than the weekend before Thanksgiving. It doesn't matter if you cook or your SO cooks or you go somewhere - you always need something! Don't shop the Wed before Thanksgiving!

5. If you work a holiday - be HAPPY! It will make you & everyone around you happy - its only one day after all - I've celebrated Thanksgiving at noon - 8AM, 9PM & Christmas at all hours......but....those folks who are sick don't ever get to get home that day so make them as happy as you can!

6. Make sure you know what time the game, race, match, whatever is on TV - if you call just to see how the SO's day is going & you are interrupting the "whatever" you'll feel like ****! You'll get points if you call after & ask what the score was - it doesn't matter what sport - just ask if his team, favorite, car, etc...won...

7. Compromise, compromise, compromise...

Yeah....after a very few years....each day you work is truly one more day lost. The overtime money is not worth the time you miss - EVER! Gotta agree with Zpak here!

I wish I had known you were in Louisville. I could have stalked you too.

I didn't even get to watch the game. I don't have a TV in my room at school.
I kept calling my husband for updates and using my crappy internet connection to check ESPN.

I live within walking distance of the stadium. In fact, I walked there yesterday!

ON TOPIC: negative side to pharmacy - my feet hurt!

Aaaahhh - ok...from a woman's perspective (oh - most of your staff, Zpak!):

!. Super Bowl - one of the slowest days of the year - most of the phsycians won't come in until after its over.

2. Christmas Eve & Day - two of the most busy days of the year - surgeons have a terrible family life & idiots drink too much & get in accidents.

3. Father's Day - don't work - you score points if you get this day off!!! Breakfast is always a hit!

4. Try to get the Mon or Tue before Thanksgiving off - it is easier to shop those days than the weekend before Thanksgiving. It doesn't matter if you cook or your SO cooks or you go somewhere - you always need something! Don't shop the Wed before Thanksgiving!

5. If you work a holiday - be HAPPY! It will make you & everyone around you happy - its only one day after all - I've celebrated Thanksgiving at noon - 8AM, 9PM & Christmas at all hours......but....those folks who are sick don't ever get to get home that day so make them as happy as you can!

6. Make sure you know what time the game, race, match, whatever is on TV - if you call just to see how the SO's day is going & you are interrupting the "whatever" you'll feel like ****! You'll get points if you call after & ask what the score was - it doesn't matter what sport - just ask if his team, favorite, car, etc...won...

7. Compromise, compromise, compromise...

Yeah....after a very few years....each day you work is truly one more day lost. The overtime money is not worth the time you miss - EVER! Gotta agree with Zpak here!

I like to read you guys' post, alway contrarious to each other:laugh:
by the way, Zpak, are you still in USC or already graduated?

Great post:thumbup:

Exactly, college football is my favorite, but weeks I work, I have try and sleep most of the day and miss most games. :mad:

Like one of the above posters said - It's just a job like any other. things you like, things you hate.

I like to read you guys' post, alway contrarious to each other:laugh:
by the way, Zpak, are you still in USC or already graduated?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He's a man, I'm a woman.....

He's a boss, I'm an employee....

The only thing we both have in common: we're both great pharmacists.....

..........and.......we're both "old":eek: .........:luck:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He's a man, I'm a woman.....

He's a boss, I'm an employee....

The only thing we both have in common: we're both great pharmacists.....

..........and.......we're both "old":eek: .........:luck:

Speak for yourself!!! You're a great pharmacist. Me...on the other hand, it's debatable... I cause more Medication Errors than anyone else in the pharmacy... but I willingly admit it..and it's a good thing that I cause errors. Because it brings to light where in order entry process errors are made.

To the poster who asked if I'm still in school... the answer is, I should be..but paying 4 years of tuition allowed me to leave school..like 11 years ago.