What are the "slow days" in retail pharmacies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robin2nightwing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are weekends the "slow days"? I heard Mondays and Fridays are the busiest days for retail pharmacies (Walgreens and CVS), but is that accurate? I would prefer to work on slower days, but it really doesn't matter because I'm sure every day is busy.

Members don't see this ad.

Mondays are the most busiest. MD's coming back from the weekend are able to sign off on requests, hospitals are back in service = more discharges, out-patient clinics & rx's, people who were procrastinating on the weekend pop by after work or on their lunch break
Other trends are days before cold weather or before a blizzard, seniors tend to come and get their rx's early. I always know a storm is coming in a couple of days from the patients who come into the pharmacy LOL (I live in Canada, but pretty sure it's applicable in US too)
Weekends are generally quieter in the area where I work so we catch up on blister packs, call for repeat rx's, do misc. paperwork
(used to work part-time as an assistant for a couple of years)

Reactions: 1 users
Monday Wednesday Friday are the busiest like 200 scripts. On Sunday we can barely make 40 or up to 70.
Weekends the pharmacist is by themselves or with one person. On the weekday there's about 4 in and out

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You just get less staff on slow days so it feels just as busy

Reactions: 2 users
You just get less staff on slow days so it feels just as busy

And you will be all over the place instead of standing at verification

Reactions: 1 users
At grocery stores, the weekends are particularly bad.

Reactions: 1 user
There's no such thing as a slow day in retail...

Honestly, it depends on the chain and the store. Some stores average 300 during the week and considerably less on the weekend, but like some people said you have less staff also so you feel just as busy