What are things you do or do not call for in retail pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharmer20201

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen some rphs call for Ventolin and proair switches.

Would you call md if hydrocortisone 2% cream is written? That doesn't even exist so yeah

Would you call when trying to fill abilify for a patient taking risperdal or just ask the patient on that?
 
I've seen some rphs call for Ventolin and proair switches.

Would you call md if hydrocortisone 2% cream is written? That doesn't even exist so yeah

Would you call when trying to fill abilify for a patient taking risperdal or just ask the patient on that?

Ventolin/Proair/Proventil - Unless it's written for a respiclick, or I know the patient would give a hassle, it's usually insta-changed if not covered. I've asked too many local doctors if they really care, some even put on their script "whatever is covered".

Mupirocin cream -> ointment usually for the nearby urgent care if not covered, they would just sigh if I called every time. (Does anyone have a good reason why you would use cream here for most minor cuts?)

Test strips - If it's not covered, I'll find what's covered and fax the change request to the doctor, but what doctor is going to say no? Either they get a different strip or they get no strips because it's so damn expensive.

On the flip side, I had a STARS because a doctor wrote for a Xanax capsule that I subbed to a tablet. The patient was screaming that they wanted capsules that don't even exist. The doctor was ok with it, but because I didn't ask first it was counted as a STARS event. (The patient eventually came in and filled the tablets using the same script with a different pharm.)

I mean, this is the part of medicine that we should be at the forefront of. Doctors don't have time to learn all of the formulations and strengths. Doctors don't learn about alternatives save for what the hot sales rep shows them after buying lunch for the office. I really think interchanging should be our job, part of our goal with patients is to seek affordable health care and being able to provide them options increases their adherence, satisfaction, and healthcare outcomes. We went to school for a long time and we can't be trusted with knowing that a Proair and a Ventolin will provide the exact same outcome for a patient.
 
On the most relaxed side of things, I had a pharmacist substitute amoxicillin suspension for amoxicillin capsules at the patient's request. On the most strict side of things, I've had a pharmacist call for a substitution of generic fluorometholone suspension on a script written for FML suspension even though the provider wrote "generic okay" on the script.

I might not call on all dosage form changes (caps vs tabs), but it would be a good idea to run them by the patient. There might be a reason why fluoxetine tablets are being used instead of capsules. Same for albuterol inhalers (not different therapeutic outcomes, but maybe a difference in patient preference).