What are you doing the summer before med school starts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are you doing the summer before med school starts?

• Traveling (see the world before moving into the library)

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Getting a head start on science review books because Med School is going to kill me

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Going to med school...my orientation starts in June/July/beginning of August!

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Crying myself to sleep every night

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Graduating college...late?

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Votes: 17 24.6%

• Total voters

SpeedRacer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Poll is coming...

I know it's way early, but my mind is wandering.

Members don't see this ad.

Where's working? You know, adults have this thing called money?

desiredusername said:

Oh shut it. I'm working 2 jobs including the beloved night shift but I have to quit my jobs before I move to med school because I'm, oh I don't know, MOVING? - what are you doing the weekend before classes start?

At least I remembered to put "graduating" for all the "kids" out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
desiredusername said:
What is it used for?

(it must be ended in a preposition to give the desired effect, sorry :oops: )

SpeedRacer said:
Oh shut it.
I was just giving you a hard time.
The summer before I get in - not weekend - I'll be working. I'm a co-owner of a company. It's not like I'm just going to up and walk away.... This company will be paying my bills for a long time, I sure as hell better work there. So, none of the other options really apply. Most people I know work the summer before they start graduate school. My brother's going to start law school next fall and he'll be working, too. Before he got his PhD he did the same thing. Sorry, I thought it was a pretty big omission, that's all.
SpeedRacer said:
At least I remembered to put "graduating" for all the kids out there.
I thank you for that. Ah, those kids. We are all richer for their presence.

i kind of assumed everyone is already working....

so "what are you going to do during the months/weeks/days/hours between quitting your job and moving to med school"

i think it's less of an omission and more of an assumption

i would consider working, but in the grand scheme of things the amount of debt i'll be in will be vastly greater than anything i could make in the summer after i graduate college. i'm aiming for sleeping a lot.

haha...im the sole vote for graduating late. the result of switching majors halfway through my senior year. hoping to work too but certainly no travelling (1 L or 2?)

i'm cranky. i think it's cause i'm hungry. sorry.

I wish I knew what I'm going to be doing this summer. Much will depend on if I get accepted somewhere that I'd rather go. If not... I see Ireland in my future. :D

SpeedRacer said:
i'm cranky. i think it's cause i'm hungry. sorry.
Eat, man! Besides, I figured your pissiness was because of the smart-ass way I originally responded to your question. Maybe we're both hungry... (wait a minute, that's not about taking the beef train to tuna town, so just stop thinking about that right now!)

Members don't see this ad :)
desiredusername said:
Eat, man! Besides, I figured your pissiness was because of the smart-ass way I originally responded to your question. Maybe we're both hungry... (wait a minute, that's not about taking the beef train to tuna town, so just stop thinking about that right now!)

"the beef train to tuna town."

oh. my. god.

this poll is for those who have already been accepted somewhere...For the rest, there is also a possibility of spending the next summer reapplying

DrKitty said:
this poll is for those who have already been accepted somewhere...For the rest, there is also a possibility of spending the next summer reapplying

that's true but it's so early that you won't even know if you'll be reapplying until like june next year

i think everyone's banking on some movement after May 15th

Working and working and saving every penny I can.

I would really like to keep working, but I just feel so burnt out with my job during the day, classes at night, interviewing, part-time jobs during the weekend, and significant other (dang, it's so hard).

But I DEFINITELY wanna take at LEAST 2 months to do NOTHING but chill-ax, sleep, travel a little, sleep, and read.

Can't wait.

Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Either that or taking a cruise. Not sure which yet- I have a couple of years to decide.

Make an effort to find my future wife.

Working, and more than likely, waiting to get called off a waitlist or two.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Make an effort to find my future wife.
Good luck with that. Any particular reason for the focus on that for the summer in question? Why rush it?

Praetorian said:
Good luck with that. Any particular reason for the focus on that for the summer in question? Why rush it?

Because I'll be an MD/PhD slave for the next 7-8 years and won't have much time for meeting people. It would be great to have someone to come home to.

And I want to start early on a family - goal is 10+ children.

mercaptovizadeh said:
And I want to start early on a family - goal is 10+ children.
going for the evolutionary approach huh, ghenghis khan like

Breeding the next generation of Christian fundamentalists eh? ;)

Seriously, as a father and soon-to-be husband, it's a great thing to have a family to come home to. Good luck with everything you want to achieve in life. :thumbup: You'll need all the luck you can get with 10+ children....Just one is tremendous amount of work. :scared: :eek: