What are you doing with your time off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chhsu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've matched and now things are pretty much on easy street. So I was wondering what those of you with some free time are doing with this new found freedom - travel, volunteer, research, more electives, Step2CS/CK?
Just wondering what creative plans some of you may have.

I just finished my last ER shift yesterday and now I have 3 months of free time before residency. I'm going to sell the house, find a new place in Chicago and do some traveling with a friend for a short road trip. I am also going to see about helping out a friend who set up a medical clinic in Guatemala. In between this, I'm working on publishing a case study and will finally be able to read House of God. It better be good because I've heard too many doctors telling me I HAVE to read this book before starting residency.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind me asking (curious 3rd year student), but what school do you go to that you have 3 months off?

I finished the MD/PhD program at the U of Illinois Champaign/Urbana. They give us 4 months of credit for doing the PhD in our M4 year. I spent 1 of the 4 months doing a clinical research project so I have 3 months left.

If you don't mind me asking (curious 3rd year student), but what school do you go to that you have 3 months off?

At most medical schools if you take the right rotations early in 4th year, you should have April, May, and June off. I think I'm the only guy in my class who didn't get the memo and was q4 in April. :laugh:

Congrats again to all the newly-matched interns, and enjoy your vacations.