SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What are you doing with your time off?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by chhsu, Mar 23, 2007.

1. chhsu

chhsu New Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2004
    We've matched and now things are pretty much on easy street. So I was wondering what those of you with some free time are doing with this new found freedom - travel, volunteer, research, more electives, Step2CS/CK?
    Just wondering what creative plans some of you may have.

I just finished my last ER shift yesterday and now I have 3 months of free time before residency. I'm going to sell the house, find a new place in Chicago and do some traveling with a friend for a short road trip. I am also going to see about helping out a friend who set up a medical clinic in Guatemala. In between this, I'm working on publishing a case study and will finally be able to read House of God. It better be good because I've heard too many doctors telling me I HAVE to read this book before starting residency.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Ginkoba4

Ginkoba4 Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Poopyville
    If you don't mind me asking (curious 3rd year student), but what school do you go to that you have 3 months off?

4. chhsu

chhsu New Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2004
    I finished the MD/PhD program at the U of Illinois Champaign/Urbana. They give us 4 months of credit for doing the PhD in our M4 year. I spent 1 of the 4 months doing a clinical research project so I have 3 months left.

5. Palmetto

Palmetto Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Nov 2, 2005
    At most medical schools if you take the right rotations early in 4th year, you should have April, May, and June off. I think I'm the only guy in my class who didn't get the memo and was q4 in April. :laugh:

Congrats again to all the newly-matched interns, and enjoy your vacations.