This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChicagoPreMedStudent

Reaction score
I get that all doctors have very busy schedules, and I am not expecting to walk into anything less, but in YOUR OPINION is your work/life balance sound as a "typical" physician in pediatrics (Would prefer to hear from peds doctors in a hospital setting instead of somewhere like a private practice but I will literally take input from anyone).

TL;DR I want to work in a peds hospital because I have a passion for helping the kiddos, plus the decor is awesome, but am worried that my work/life balance will be off and that I will hardly have time for dating/an SO/kids etc.

If you dont think peds has a good work life balance what specialty would you suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

I get that all doctors have very busy schedules, and I am not expecting to walk into anything less, but in YOUR OPINION is your work/life balance sound as a "typical" physician in pediatrics (Would prefer to hear from peds doctors in a hospital setting instead of somewhere like a private practice but I will literally take input from anyone).

TL;DR I want to work in a peds hospital because I have a passion for helping the kiddos, plus the decor is awesome, but am worried that my work/life balance will be off and that I will hardly have time for dating/an SO/kids etc.

If you dont think peds has a good work life balance what specialty would you suggest?
Work/life balance is very subjective and too specific to the individual to give you any real insight about what's the right specialty. As a metric, work/life balance is synonymous with "burnout". If you want to know that as a relative comparison.
fig2.png

In the end, its all about choosing what it most interesting to you. But there's probably not a specialty that has the best work/life balance. As an anecdote, you'll notice on that survey that surgical subspecialities have some of the lowest burnout. The truth of that is probably more to the fact that surgeons are happy to operate and not be at home. For them, that's the perfect work/life balance, but for others, maybe not.