What are you drinking this holiday season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BubbleheadVet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So when I moved to Seattle from the south (Montgomery, AL; Charleston, SC; Jacksonville, FL) back in 2006 I finally was introduced to the delictable world of microbrewing. And since haven't looked back...I was just wondering what all seasonal beers you guys are enjoying this holiday season? Favorites and why? Least favorite and why?

Cheers!
 
So when I moved to Seattle from the south (Montgomery, AL; Charleston, SC; Jacksonville, FL) back in 2006 I finally was introduced to the delictable world of microbrewing. And since haven't looked back...I was just wondering what all seasonal beers you guys are enjoying this holiday season? Favorites and why? Least favorite and why?

Cheers!

Anything that makes me forget the fact that I'm waiting for 12 schools to decide my future...
😉
 
Last edited:
RedHook. Mostly the ESB and IPA, because that's what I can get around here.
All year round, although their current fall brew is especially good- RedHook Wit. And of course, there's the WinterHook- yummy!

ETA: Just saw you're in Seattle. don't know where that is in relation to Woodinville, but Redhook has a brewery there. If its anything like their NH brewery they do some awesome cheap tours with lots of samples
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Absolutely enjoy all of Redhook's brews...toured their brewing facility in Woodenville a few years back...currently working on Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, and I gotta say that once again for a solid mass produced brew these guys have got it down...IPA wise I've gotta go with our favorite brewery/restaurant which is Silvercity...if you get the chance to ever try any of their beers it is a definite...other good IPAs to look for are anything that comes out of Stone Brewery...their Ruination IPA is ridiculous...pretty pricey though...

@Emiloo- Definitely would understand but you shouldn't lower your standards to like PBR...swear to baby jesus that one of my best friends from Wisconsin, regardless of all the delictable beer up here, will still choose PBR over any other beer...yeast in a can...he also almost inevitably puts cheddar on everything he eats...here's to you land of a thousand lakes!
 
@Emiloo- Definitely would understand but you shouldn't lower your standards to like PBR...swear to baby jesus that one of my best friends from Wisconsin, regardless of all the delictable beer up here, will still choose PBR over any other beer...yeast in a can...he also almost inevitably puts cheddar on everything he eats...here's to you land of a thousand lakes!

haha, maybe I should have said anything that will make me forget, but not leave me with a disgusting hangover. :barf: I live in the finger lake region of NY and we have tons of microbreweries. Empire Brewing company and Syracuse Suds (the Irish Red especially) are two of my favorite local beers. We also have Saranac Lake that has a few I like. But two of my all time favorites are Franziskaner (Spaten) and Hoegaarden. I fell in love with it in Ireland. :luck:
 
In Ireland do as the Dutch would do? I'm suprised a bunch of leprachauns didn't drag you out back and put a whippin on you....
 
In Ireland do as the Dutch would do? I'm suprised a bunch of leprachauns didn't drag you out back and put a whippin on you....

haha basically. Actually, they actually drank A LOT of "Budweiser Cold" over there. Not what I expected a bunch of Irish folk to drink. We actually got stuck over there 2 years ago during that volcano in Iceland. Although I say "stuck" hesitantly since the only thing that sucked was having to pay for another week of food and lodging. Who wouldn't want to be "stuck" in Ireland an extra week? Never even rained once in 14 days! :luck:
 
My drink of choice for the holidays is Baileys mint chocolate.

But my favourite beer is probably Shock Top Belgian white or Rickard's white. Anything citrus-y.
 
I was going to start a drinking thread but you beat me to it 😀. Im not a huge fan of winter seasonal beers but Troegs Mad Elf is really good for those around the PA area, plus its 11% ABV for those who want to celebrate acceptances or forget rejections.


Also Sam Adams winter is ok but I usually hate Sam adams brews.
 
Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout a is a superb seasonal offering if you enjoy a more robust beer.

For those wanting a special eggnog, I suggest adding dark rum/brandy (maybe 1.5oz to 4oz nog or to taste) and garnish with a touch of nutmeg. Classier than shooting it down the gullet straight from the bottle.
 
last year my friend made mulled wine from some cheap red wine he had sitting around...it was marvelous and delicious on a cold night 🙂 yummm

and that bailey's mint chocolate sounds REALLY good right now.
 
My drink of choice for the holidays is Baileys mint chocolate.

But my favourite beer is probably Shock Top Belgian white or Rickard's white. Anything citrus-y.

loveeee shocktop (and blue moon). does shocktop have any sort of winter ale?
 
My boyfriend found this pumpkin flavored Bailey's type drink, although it's not Bailey's. I drank it all and forgot to keep the bottle to try to find it again at BevMo 🙄.

As for beer, I'm always a big fan of Blue Moon. They have a Belgian Style Pale Ale that is pretty yummy. Sierra Nevada has always been too hoppy for my taste, but I've had the Celebration Ale and it's pretty good.
 
*** What AREN'T you drinking this holiday season?

...seems a more appropriate question right now.

:laugh:

Hellacious Monday.
 
oooooh i LOVE this thread.

my bf and i are GIANT craft beer lovers. Each month, we get together with a bunch of friends and have a tasting of a particular type of beer. Last month we hosted the porters. Yesterday, our friend hosted winter warmers. We had everything from Great Lakes to Goose Island to Harpoon to Sam Smith to Longtrail to Saranac. All nice and spicy with hints of nutmeg and cardamom. Delish for a cold night (or afternoon :laugh:).

Luckily, Upstate New York has lots of great microbrews (Emiloo, I'm not familiar with Syracuse Suds). Rohrbach is brewed in Rochester and makes my favorite vanilla porter mmmmmmm 😍 y'all are missing out!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Beer makes me go *ick.* If I have to drink it it's gotta be Woodchuck. Give me a creme soda with vanilla vodka or a root beer with whipped cream vodka any day 😍
 
We have been making Apple Pie. It is AMAZING! Helped me get over finals week.

I have friends in TN that make a Cherry Pie drink too.
 
@Ellie- Beer, as is coffee, is an acquired taste. Once you've given yourself over to the initial flavor you can really start to enjoy the complexity of quality brewed beer.

I've actually been trying to convince my wife to let me buy two carboys and a large pot for for beginning my brewing endeavor. Since we like to drink quality beer it only makes since to perfect my own to cut down on costs. I think its about 60 bucks for high quality hops for brewing, which I guess would equate to roughly 96 beers or so...at least that's what I've been told from friends...here's to Christmas!

By the way its great to see so many people in vet school or those in hope of getting into vet school that really appreciate good beer. Can't believe I used to drink Natural Light!
 
My latest 6 pack is Moose Drool, which is not seasonal, but was recommended to me by a friend. Otherwise, pretty much anything by New Glarus (except IPAs 'cause I'm not a fan). Their Laughing Fox is quite tasty.

loveeee shocktop (and blue moon). does shocktop have any sort of winter ale?

I love Shocktop! We always got that after work at the pizza place next door. Blue moon is also a solid choice. 🙂
 
@Ellie- Beer, as is coffee, is an acquired taste. Once you've given yourself over to the initial flavor you can really start to enjoy the complexity of quality brewed beer.

I've actually been trying to convince my wife to let me buy two carboys and a large pot for for beginning my brewing endeavor. Since we like to drink quality beer it only makes since to perfect my own to cut down on costs. I think its about 60 bucks for high quality hops for brewing, which I guess would equate to roughly 96 beers or so...at least that's what I've been told from friends...here's to Christmas!

By the way its great to see so many people in vet school or those in hope of getting into vet school that really appreciate good beer. Can't believe I used to drink Natural Light!

you know, in college i was really a no beer kind of gal, but since then i've slooooooowly been acquiring more of a taste for beer! for happy hours i really prefer beer over some sort of mixed drink, and i especially enjoy shocktop!

ewwwwwwww natty light....is disgusting. as is PBR. :barf:reminds me of college frat parties
 
I still can't drink Bud or Coors or Miller or Keystone or any of that other horse piss. Even if its free, I can barely choke it down.

The microbrews are a whole different world of yumminess. It's horrible that they all get called "beer" because some are lightyears ahead of the others when it comes to taste and flavor and smoothness and yummy hoppiness.
 
Im doing a little tour or the north west's brewing industry/eating good pub-grub ... I cant wait to get my hands on a few good IPAs ... I have all my happy hours picked out for my visit 🤣

... i really need a beer (everyday until this hellacious process is over)
 
Beer makes me go *ick.* If I have to drink it it's gotta be Woodchuck.

What do you mean 'have to'? Woodchuck is amazing in its own right.

Try mixing a lil bit of this with your light beer or cider:

6BCC3453.jpg
 
chocolate mudslides and cruisers because I'm such a lightweight... its awesome.

And shots of any kind. But only 1 or 2 tequillas.

(I'm a binge drinker. rock on :horns:)
 
So I only recently began exploring the world of GOOD beer. I honeymooned in Portland, OR, and loved every minute I spent trying microbrewery ale. Fantastic. Favorites that I can actually get around here are Shocktop and Blue Moon. Mmm!

However, since I'm new to the game, I'm not sure what IPA is. Can someone help me out? I do at least know what PBR is. 😳

And before someone gets all snarky...I've tried googling it 😉 India Pale Ale?
 
So I only recently began exploring the world of GOOD beer. I honeymooned in Portland, OR, and loved every minute I spent trying microbrewery ale. Fantastic. Favorites that I can actually get around here are Shocktop and Blue Moon. Mmm!

However, since I'm new to the game, I'm not sure what IPA is. Can someone help me out? I do at least know what PBR is. 😳

And before someone gets all snarky...I've tried googling it 😉 India Pale Ale?

Yes, IPA = India Pale Ale. They are a variety that is usually pretty hoppy (strong, bitter flavor). Sierra Nevada is an example of a popular IPA. It's definitely a variety that takes some getting used to. They're generally not as easy to drink as say, a belgian white or a sam adams, but they are delicious once you can appreciate them 😛

Wow, we've got lotsa Hefeweizen lovers on SDN! I used to be big on those beers until I started loving the more bitter varieties... a sign of my old age? :laugh:
 
I still can't drink Bud or Coors or Miller or Keystone or any of that other horse piss. Even if its free, I can barely choke it down.

The microbrews are a whole different world of yumminess. It's horrible that they all get called "beer" because some are lightyears ahead of the others when it comes to taste and flavor and smoothness and yummy hoppiness.

Agree agree agree agree. 👍👍👍👍
Bud = The King of Crap
 
We have been making Apple Pie. It is AMAZING! Helped me get over finals week.

I have friends in TN that make a Cherry Pie drink too.

......hm.........maybe I need to find people who are expert drink mixers. [I don't drink alcoholic beverages cause they smell dreadful and taste dreadful too.......]

Recipe? I might try this one at home.....😀
 
Where are all the beer snobs from Colorado to defend New Belgium? I'm here and I'll do it. Actually I'm not a big fan of NB (except for 1554) but I do really like everything from Odell's in Foco especially 90 Shillings. Left hand brewery also has a pretty good line up. My favorite has to be Shiner, either the Bock or Black Lager and Ruby Redbird in the summer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
......hm.........maybe I need to find people who are expert drink mixers. [I don't drink alcoholic beverages cause they smell dreadful and taste dreadful too.......]

Recipe? I might try this one at home.....😀

If I remember...

Take a bunch of cinnamon. Put in a pot with some apple cider.

Boil. Forever.

Add everclear.

Take shots.

Be deliciously hammered.

AND AS A WISCONSINITE I WOULD BE INDIGNANT ABOUT THE PBR COMMENT... but I did drink a can on Sunday. And I do put cheddar on everything. And I totally don't understand the whole IPA craze. It tastes like drinking flowers.

But honestly, my favorite drink right now is what I call a "dirty Arnold Palmer", in which I add massive quantities of sweet tea vodka to lemonade. Proceed to forget vet school.
 
What a great thread! I agree with the idea of drinking whatever takes my mind off of waiting haha. Probably favorite drink right now is a Guinness. I am into beer right now haha - I visited the Guinness factory in Ireland and it really is quite a neat brewing process. Wouldn't mind touring it again. It's like Disney World for beer drinkers haha
 
But honestly, my favorite drink right now is what I call a "dirty Arnold Palmer", in which I add massive quantities of sweet tea vodka to lemonade. Proceed to forget vet school.

Uh, I kind of incredibly really love this idea right now. Well, maybe not right now at 10:30 in the morning, but at a more appropriate time of day, I would incredibly really love this idea.
 
Luckily, Upstate New York has lots of great microbrews (Emiloo, I'm not familiar with Syracuse Suds). Rohrbach is brewed in Rochester and makes my favorite vanilla porter mmmmmmm 😍 y'all are missing out!

I think you can literally only get Syracuse Suds at the brewery downtown. I don't think they outsource it anywhere... great stuff though! I will definitely try the Rohrbach. I LOOOOVE porters! I mentioned our abundance of microbrews earlier in the thread... love it! 😀 Anytime you need another couple to add to your tastings let me know 😉.
 
What a great thread! I agree with the idea of drinking whatever takes my mind off of waiting haha. Probably favorite drink right now is a Guinness. I am into beer right now haha - I visited the Guinness factory in Ireland and it really is quite a neat brewing process. Wouldn't mind touring it again. It's like Disney World for beer drinkers haha

I toured it as well. I loved the Shamrock they put on the head :luck:😀.
 
Anytime you need another couple to add to your tastings let me know 😉.

Well we just had the December one, but we do it every month. I think next month is Stouts (that's gonna be a doozy!). But yeah, if you're willing to make the 1.5 hour trek to 'ol Roc City, I'll let cha know 😀
 
We use Apple Cider, Apple Juice, Cinnamon and sugar. Then boil forever - make sure it cools before adding everclear (don't want to evaporate all that wonderful alcohol). and drink by the glass. (Ours ends up about 10% alcohol). My husband keeps exact amounts of what in his head so I'll see if he'll let me in on the secret so I can pass it around.

EDIT: Here it is:
1 gal apple juice
1 gal cider
3 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
7 cinnamon sticks.
Boil til the sticks open up
Cool to room temp
Add a 1/5 of Everclear.

Don't get too drunk!



If I remember...

Take a bunch of cinnamon. Put in a pot with some apple cider.

Boil. Forever.

Add everclear.

Take shots.

Be deliciously hammered.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, I kind of incredibly really love this idea right now. Well, maybe not right now at 10:30 in the morning, but at a more appropriate time of day, I would incredibly really love this idea.

Definitely try it! Cheap, simple, and delicious. 🙂

We use Apple Cider, Apple Juice, Cinnamon and sugar. Then boil forever - make sure it cools before adding everclear (don't want to evaporate all that wonderful alcohol). and drink by the glass. (Ours ends up about 10% alcohol). My husband keeps exact amounts of what in his head so I'll see if he'll let me in on the secret so I can pass it around.

Oooh, I've always had it as shots! That's neat that y'all do it as more of a drink. Yummy.
 
Where are all the beer snobs from Colorado to defend New Belgium? I'm here and I'll do it. Actually I'm not a big fan of NB (except for 1554) but I do really like everything from Odell's in Foco especially 90 Shillings. Left hand brewery also has a pretty good line up. My favorite has to be Shiner, either the Bock or Black Lager and Ruby Redbird in the summer.

Oooo!!!! Colorado beer snob here! Well, Chicago turned Colorado, but beer snob no less.

That said, for the holidays, my drinks of choice are gluwein and brandy spiked egg nog (not at the same time) mmmmmmm...
 
My absolute favorite winter drink is hot apple cider spiked with Fireball cinnamon whiskey. Delicious, and it really warms you up! I also love spiced wine!

I'm not too big on winter beers--usually too heavy/dark for me. I did recently try a New Belgium Mothership Wit, which was pretty tasty. One of the local breweries in Knoxville makes a beer called Downtown Blonde, which is one of my favorites. Hard ciders are a favorite too--so far I've tried Woodchuck, Hornsby's, Hardcore, Blackthorn, and Original Sin. I usually buy Hardcore, just because it's easy to find and I think it's not quite as sweet as Woodchuck.
 
My absolute favorite winter drink is hot apple cider spiked with Fireball cinnamon whiskey. Delicious, and it really warms you up! I also love spiced wine!

I'm not too big on winter beers--usually too heavy/dark for me. I did recently try a New Belgium Mothership Wit, which was pretty tasty. One of the local breweries in Knoxville makes a beer called Downtown Blonde, which is one of my favorites. Hard ciders are a favorite too--so far I've tried Woodchuck, Hornsby's, Hardcore, Blackthorn, and Original Sin. I usually buy Hardcore, just because it's easy to find and I think it's not quite as sweet as Woodchuck.

YES whiskey ciders are a personal favorite. Our local bar serves 'em up and is complete with the firepit outback- amazing 😍
 
What do you mean 'have to'? Woodchuck is amazing in its own right.

Try mixing a lil bit of this with your light beer or cider:

6BCC3453.jpg

I am not a huge fan of beer, but Lindeman's is super tasty all on it's own!

As far as liquor, Jack Daniels & Coke, Baileys on the rocks, Baileys in hot chocolate, a good old margarita (ridiculously hard to find over here), on a really cold night a hot whiskey will do the trick, and on Xmas morning my tradition is Makers Mark and OJ. All so good!
 
Hard ciders are a favorite too--so far I've tried Woodchuck, Hornsby's, Hardcore, Blackthorn, and Original Sin. I usually buy Hardcore, just because it's easy to find and I think it's not quite as sweet as Woodchuck.

Ever try Magners or Bulmers? They are from Ireland, but they are a little less sweet and pretty tasty... when you're in the mood for that sweet cider stuff 😛. They are actually the exact same cider, but since the north dislikes the south (and vice versa) and wouldn't drink Bulmers, the company got smart and just called it something else for N. Ireland (Magners) lol. Those silly Irish :luck:
(I can't remember which one came first, but you get the idea)
 
Another good cider that I recently tried is Angry Orchard. It is in the middle as far as sweetness goes. The apple ginger cider is great for the holidays.

I'm not really a big Woodchuck fan. I know a lot of people really like it, but I feel like it tastes like hard water or something. There is a kind of metallic taste that I can't get past.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Ellie- Beer, as is coffee, is an acquired taste. Once you've given yourself over to the initial flavor you can really start to enjoy the complexity of quality brewed beer.

As a coffee addict who's trying to train herself to drink black coffee, I can totally appreciate this!
 
My absolute favorite winter drink is hot apple cider spiked with Fireball cinnamon whiskey. Delicious, and it really warms you up!

This and I also enjoy hot buttered rum. So good, like warm liquid dessert that makes you forget all of your worries (once you drink enough).
 
I'm thinking this thread should be called "What are you drinking this application cycle?" as I believe many of us would have much more to share 😉
 
Another good cider that I recently tried is Angry Orchard. It is in the middle as far as sweetness goes. The apple ginger cider is great for the holidays.

I'm not really a big Woodchuck fan. I know a lot of people really like it, but I feel like it tastes like hard water or something. There is a kind of metallic taste that I can't get past.

My cider of choice is definitely Strongbow. It's way better on tap than in a bottle, but still delicious.