What are you putting for your "most meaningful" experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geronimo11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I'm curious and getting tired of these character limits. Anyone else pre-draft these entries but find their minds are deciding to tinker with the descriptions as you're entering them? *mumbles profanities at computer screen* Anyways, what's everyone putting for their 1-3 meaningful experiences. I've been going back and forth between 4 but think I'll go with

1. A volunteering gig
2. A clinical summer internship I did in another country
3. My work as a student teacher

My 4th option was my undergraduate research, which I may still swap in, but I have a publication and award entry for this also. So between the 3 I think I'm more than fine explaining and showing how important this was to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Vague, but mine are most likely going to be:

1) School Club (4 years, leadership)
2) Community service EC
3) My current research gig

1. Research
  2. Martial Arts
  3. Medical/Anthropology Mission or STEM tutor/Environmental Activism
I have a word doc where I write descriptions, then copy/pasta. Sometimes, and this may be a function of my browser, but if I go one letter over the 700 character limit, I get stuck in this annoying-a** loop that basically freezes the page and doesn't let me edit anything. After having that happen like 6 times, I decided to do the word doc. I definitely tinker descriptions here and there, but our nit-picking will probably go unnoticed, so I don't stress to much about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Research
  2. Martial Arts
  3. Medical/Anthropology Mission or STEM tutor/Environmental Activism
I have a word doc where I write descriptions, then copy/pasta. Sometimes, and this may be a function of my browser, but if I go one letter over the 700 character limit, I get stuck in this annoying-a** loop that basically freezes the page and doesn't let me edit anything. After having that happen like 6 times, I decided to do the word doc. I definitely tinker descriptions here and there, but our nit-picking will probably go unnoticed, so I don't stress to much about it.

That would drive me crazy. Be careful when you're copying/pasting from word doc it can mess up the formatting in the AMCAS app.

I didn't realize checking the most meaningful experience box would give you an additional text box to enter the extra 1325 characters, kinda throws me off. I don't know how to divide my summary

That would drive me crazy. Be careful when you're copying/pasting from word doc it can mess up the formatting in the AMCAS app.

I didn't realize checking the most meaningful experience box would give you an additional text box to enter the extra 1325 characters, kinda throws me off. I don't know how to divide my summary
Yes, it was incredibly frustrating!

For my research MME, the first 700 characters were mostly descriptive, while the latter 1325 provided a bit more description with some reflection mixed in. I made sure both had somewhat of a smooth transition, because I'm pretty sure there isn't much of a dividing line when adcoms see the app -- i.e., it's basically read as one, cohesive "statement."

Reactions: 1 user
Mine were:

List of my research/book publications
A nonprofit I founded and ran
Paid/unpaid teaching and instructor positions

My app could be summarized as "this person possesses a productive scientific curiosity, can successfully build something from the ground up, and can effectively function as both a leader & educator".

Worked out well enough.

In other words, tell a story with your selections.

Good luck!

Last edited:
1. Circus club (leadership)
2. Research
3. Current full time employment

I picked things that were important to me, but that I hadn't focused on/included in my personal statement. I have other significant experiences (i.e. EMT) but since those were a big part of my personal statement I figured it would be redundant to write about them again. Things like the circus club didn't really fit into the "why medicine" question, but it's something unique about me that I wanted to highlight.

1 IDK
2 IDK
3 IDK

JK... I think I'll be doing

1. Clinical Work (Part-time job)
2. Research (no pubs but 3 years of research and currently working on my project)
3. Co-founder of community service clubs

Just to note.
Applicants can 1, 2 or 3 or no most meaningful experiences
most meaningful experiences do not have to be related to academic, research or medicine

Thank for this. I was feeling pressure to put my research as one but since I'd already talked about it in other places, I didn't feel like it was the best use of extra room. I've just ended up going with my gut, basically my choices have been the ones that once I started typing about them, the passion came out on it's own to take up that "extra characters" space.

1. Circus club (leadership)
2. Research
3. Current full time employment

I picked things that were important to me, but that I hadn't focused on/included in my personal statement. I have other significant experiences (i.e. EMT) but since those were a big part of my personal statement I figured it would be redundant to write about them again. Things like the circus club didn't really fit into the "why medicine" question, but it's something unique about me that I wanted to highlight.

I think that's awesome and worth highlighting. I picked being a student teacher as one of mine but it wasn't for college or tutoring, but for pre-k. I want to go in to pediatrics so it was extremely fulfilling for me. I talked about the patience and flexibility it taught me and how like medicine, it puts you in a rare position where you can shape someone.

My favorite story on this was the applicant who had his Organic Chem Class as the MM and it read with all the sincerity and passion of a tax form.

was he a TA/tutor/something? Or just... really wanted you to know that he was good at organic chem?

Professional blunt wrapping

Hold up, hold up! We seriously have to retype everything in there? Is there any safe way to copy and paste into amcas?

Hold up, hold up! We seriously have to retype everything in there? Is there any safe way to copy and paste into amcas?

Yes I've read that the rich formatting from word shows up weirdly when you paste in "plain" software programs like AMCAS uses. I don't think you need to retype. You might be able to paste it in something like text edit or notepad so it can revert back to plain text and then copy that again and paste it in AMCAS.

You can try checking the print option when you're done filling out that section to see if you can see any "errors" there. I've yet to do this, so I don't know if it actually will.

1. Teach for America
2. Being Director of my college's EMS service
3. My undergraduate Anthropology research